Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A coworker and I went to White Rock Lake dog park with my little 5-month-old Spock. There are two separate parks: one for any dogs, and a second for dogs under 30 pounds (or who are gentle as kittens). We went to the 30 pound enclosure, where Spock, once off his leash, spent the first 45 minutes squishing himself on the ground, going up to various humans so they could save him, and running away, tail between legs, from the other small dogs who wanted to play with him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

But he got braver, and in between running alongside the fence to get a better look at cyclists and joggers, he did play chase with a couple of other dogs and sniff a few rear ends. And he was very sad to have to leave, all things considered.

Looking forward to going back. Is there anything else I can do for him to help him feel more secure when he goes to the park, or is just letting him go (and being generally available to run back to when he needs me) and trusting he'll figure it out enough?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
First of all let me say: excellent.
Socialization is very very important, and 5 months is a good age to start!
I would keep an eye on him at all times (I tend to believe that they are very gentle and breakable). The second thing is that in order to make him feel more relaxed with the other dogs, you should try treating him and praising him when he goes to other dogs and sniffs them and then plays.... he'll understand eventually that its a good thing and he should be scared.
I'm looking forward to taking Chloe back to the park so she can play with her friends.... need to get her healed first, though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sounds like he's coming along... and yes as she said it's good to start them at an early age.

I wish Kingsport had a dog park... i believe they're in the process of making one though.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
The second thing is that in order to make him feel more relaxed with the other dogs, you should try treating him and praising him when he goes to other dogs and sniffs them and then plays.... he'll understand eventually that its a good thing and he should be scared.
That's a good idea. I briefly considered bringing dog treats in a little baggie (to reduce the possibility he'd smell them), but I forgot them when we left and remembered them about 30 minutes too late. :thinker:

I did try to praise him when we first got into the park, but he seemed to be less responsive (completely unresponsive, you could call it) to that than the lurking shadows of dogs who were perhaps 1-2 pounds heavier than him. But I think it will definitely do the trick toward building his confidence now.

There was a very nice and sweet preteen girl there who kind of adopted Spock for the afternoon - she knew the names of half the dogs in the park by the time we left, and was showing off Spock to her mom and anyone else at the park like he was her own. I think that helped him feel more comfortable.

Poor Chloe! I hope she is completely healed and feeling completely like herself again soon! The laser surgery you mentioned is a really cool advancement in veterinary science.

Quote:Originally posted by doggonit:
I wish Kingsport had a dog park... i believe they're in the process of making one though.
I really love the idea of dog parks. I'd never heard of them until I moved to Dallas, but now I want one everywhere I go. All dogs and dog owners should be so lucky as to have a safe, enclosed place for running, playing, and socializing. And while there isn't one just down the road or anything (as far as I know), I've at least got a few within reasonable driving distance, so I feel very lucky.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
I wish we had dog parks over here, how big are they?

Andy.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to say that the small dog park I visited yesterday is a fenced-in run about one half acre (.2 hectare) in area, and the large dog park is slightly bigger.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I started Charlie young too, perhaps 6-7 months.
I started him in the big dog side, he was timid in the beginning, he gotten used to the big dogs, cause he used to play with Marlin the black retriver who was 3-4 times bigger than him.
He still runs to me for rescue when he is being bully. Yes, becareful, some dogs are very aggressive. Now he learned how to play dead. :evilgrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.