Our Beagle World Forums banner

Spock has a baby sister

3K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Marley's Mommy 
#1 ·
My boyfriend has had his eye on a female beagle at the same place he bought Spock back in August. The girl beagle pup has been pining away in a display box since sometime in October, getting older and subsequently having less "aww" appeal for people who want adorable very-baby-age puppies. So today, my boyfriend, having the store credit available, saw she was on sale and decided he couldn't justify not bringing home a puppy he's been in love with for months.

Spock is very well-behaved and I think we did a really good job training him, so I think we can handle another puppy right now. Our current roommate is very much a dog person, and his dog is a sedate, confident, older husky-lab mix who has already done Spock a world of good in socialization. I'm confident this will go well!

Pictures to come soon /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Edit: And to go with the Star Trek theme, Spock's sister is named Bones.

See less See more
#4 ·
Here are promised pictures!

Spock, on the left: "What is this thing you have brought home???" (Taken with cell phone, and don't worry, these two were chasing one another around the house by the end of the night.)

What a sweet face.

Bones and my boyfriend:

Bones and me:

And here are our boy dogs (with honorary beagle Morty), both very excited by the arrival of a 5-month-old girl (um, let's start planning that spay for her and Spock's neutering now please):

#8 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Murphy & Summer's Dad:
People will say never buy a dog from a store. I say, every dog deserves a home, regardless of where they came from. So, good for you.
Thanks /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I was apprehensive at first, too, and have always preferred rescuing over buying from a store; I have a couple of good friends who are involved in rescuing and fostering cats and dogs. But I think I feel better about this one particularly because she was at that store for so long. She's 5 months old and not housebroken, doesn't even know her name, doesn't know very basic commands... Spock was already doing tricks at 4 months. Even from the last 12 hours, I can tell it's going to be tougher to get her trained than it was to train Spock. But I'm glad we're able to give her a good home.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bones, huh? "Dammit Spock, I'm a beagle, not a chew toy!" :rotflmao:

#15 ·
Cute, cute, cute!

How sweet of you and your boyfriend to rescue Bones. Poor little mite being stuck in a store for months! Now she has her forever home and I have no doubt her love and loyalty will be endless.

Congrats!

#20 ·
I agree with Judy...sounds like you rescued Bones from a pretty sad life. Pet stores should not sell puppies...period...just for this reason. I wonder what would have happened to her once she got too old. Horrible thought.

Bless you both for rescuing her!

~Denise

ps...she is very precious. I can understand why your boyfriend fell in love with her.

#21 ·
What a gorgeous baby! Congrats on your new puppy and Spock's new sister!

As for the training: with your and your boyfriend's love and Spock's logic, she should do well :hysterical: :rolleye11:

#22 ·
Bones has been with us for a little over a week now, and it's like she and Spock had been puppies together their whole lives. In the links in my signature, I've got several pictures of them play-fighting yesterday morning and a YouTube video of them and Morty hanging out on Wednesday night.

Bones is really, really beautiful. She's just like sunshine. Spock is my best buddy, but Bones tries to make up for lost time and friendship by exuberant excitement every time she sees me. She jumps up on the couch to give me kisses, she comes when I call her. Every time I look at her, I am more and more glad that my boyfriend brought her home from whatever fate awaits aging puppies marked down to 75% off at the pet store.

And on the pet store issue, which has been seriously bothering me since I read the PJ's Pets thread and did a few nights of googling: the more research I attempt to do on the breeder, the more disheartened I am that I can't find more than a phone number - I feel silly for being so naive to think a pet store dog's breeder would be a little more transparent. The less I can find out, the more I think she came from a puppy mill. I'm sorry to have fed the system, but I think no matter what, we got a good dog, and we saved Bones from being a perpetual mama dog until her little body gave out. She's 5 months, just about to reach sexual maturity, and she's just a slip of a dog, 15 pounds. I just want to protect her.

Miss Bones sleeping

Big brother Spock is so happy to have a buddy now. He has that puppy smile almost all the time now, except when we're paying attention to Bones instead of him. I was able to photograph them both in a rare state of sleep earlier today, when they had both passed out from a day of zooming around the house and yard.

#24 ·
She is absolutely ADORABLE - and being an old "trekkie", I love the names. I once named a kitten "tribbles" because she purred and made me happy.
I don't usually suggest buying animals from "pet stores" - tho we do have one in the area who only buys from "local breeders" and will give you breeder information. My Chloe came from a pet store (a lady bought her and couldn't keep her so I adopted her) - and I tracked her breeder through the "papers" (NO, not AKC - one of the "other registries"). I couldn't love Chloe more - she is my precious one-of-a-kind beagle.
As far as Spock and Bones, I have ten beagles - and while some WERE whelped HERE, beagles are pack animals and they DO better with other dogs. I think you'll find that Spock actually TEACHES Bones.
The only thing better than one beagle is MORE than one beagle.

#25 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Eve:
Every time I look at her, I am more and more glad that my boyfriend brought her home from whatever fate awaits aging puppies marked down to 75% off at the pet store.
Amen to that... I really don't think that by picking up Bones when you did you were helping the puppy mill industry - definitely more you were saving Bones from...

I watched the video of Spock and Bones hanging out and playing, and they are obviously enjoying each other's company so much and definitely look like they have been together forever. And I loved how when they disappeared into the distance the first thing you would see coming back would be the white tip of their wagging tails!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.