Our Beagle World Forums banner

Spinal disc problems - anyone experienced?

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Nancefc 
#1 ·
Darwin may have a disc problem. I haven't had him x-rayed yet. This has just presented itself recently.

Any experience out there?

#3 ·
The Bagel has pulled muscles and acted like he had disc problems but a trip to his favorite vet ruled out the worse and the Bagel was confined to quarters (my bedroom), given muscle relaxants, and I built him a ramp to get on our bed! First time he recovered in 4 days, second time took a week or so. Do hope the vet finds nothing serious. Give the little Prince some loving from the Bagel and I.

#4 ·
Plenty of experience here. And we still deal with it to this day.

If you have ANY thoughts that his back is injured, get him to a vet ASAP, preferably a Vter. hospital with a neurolgist. X-rays won't work. He will need a myleogram. If it is his discs, expect a minimum of strict crate rest for at least two weeks. At worst, surgery and a long rehab.

I will PM you with my phone number. Or I can call you, your choice.

Here's hoping it not serious.

#8 ·
Thanks very much everyone. I've taken the concern to Joe, and he was by far more helpful than my vet was today.

I'm extremely happy to report that Darwin is on top of his form this evening. GO DOG GO!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

#11 ·
I'm really glad Darwin is back to his beagle self. Kylie had disc surgery on Dec. 13, 2006.

I am happy to report that she is doing great. She is walking, running, and doing a lot of aroooing! Being a beagle. Right now she's snoring!

Joe is great. He helped me with my cries for help. I thank you Joe and Murphy for your support as well as all the people on this forum

Thanks and I hope Darwin continues to be himself.

Renee

#14 ·
Manda
He hadn't been himself for a couple of days. Wouldn't jump up on furniture (unheard of), no zoomies, very little running around.

At one point I ran my hand massage-style down his spine. I felt a very tiny flinch or wince. Nothing great. When I mentioned it to my vet he jumped on the words "spine" and "flinch" and presto Darwin immediately needed to be x-rayed for a disc problem.

What Joe suggested to me was Darwin's "flinch" could possibly just have been his skin reacting to pleasure! You all know what that feels like on your beagle. I just hadn't thought of it! There were several other little tips Joe gave me on what to look for in a possible disc problem. I'm making him my honorary vet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

#15 ·
I'm glad Darwin is doing well. I won't be able to help but to give my support.
I'm always worry Charlie might have that problem, he likes to jump and flip in mid-air, especially if he sees you with food. The most I can do is to tell him not to jump.

Charlie mom

#16 ·
In terms of symptoms, I had a scare with Maggie last year. She stopped jumping and didn't want to walk or play. When she was examined by the vet, he pressed her back very gently and she literally screamed out in pain, then jerked her head around and bit the tech who was holding on to her. Fortunately, tests showed no disc problems and a round of anti-inflammatory injections and pills and, most importantly, restriction from jumping eased her discomfort. Vet thinks she may have pinched a nerve but we'll never really know.
So glad Darwin is doing great!

#18 ·
My Beagle Has Bulging Disc

Hello: I am looking for some advice.

My beagle, Petey has had two "episodes" of bulging disc pain - about a 1/2 years apart. It has been about three months since the last one, but I know he did something to his back when he jumped off a bed. He usually waits for me to get him off the bed, couch, etc. but the doorbell rang and he was off like a shot.
He has been given Tramadol for pain, muscle relaxers and a doggie NSAID today. He's been very quiet. He is sort of "hiding" which makes me nervous.
I'm almost afraid to take him to the vet, not because I might hear bad news, but because I'm terrified to lift him. It's not good for their back.
The vet said if this got really bad he would need surgery. She mentioned a new procedure where they use a flouroscope and "laser" the bulge as opposed to traditional surgery.

What has most helped beagles with back problems. the first two episodes lasted about two days and he was fine. This is day number one, so.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.