Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can this cute little 18 pound dog be SUCH A CHALLENGE??!! I mentioned on my thread in the Adoption forum that she could scale a chain link fence. Well, I bought some chicken wire, and added a 12 extension to the top of the fence, and bent it inwards. That was an idea I found on the net, and it worked.

For about 2 weeks.

This darned dog figured out that chicken wire is really not that strong, and even though it is bent over, if you climb the chain link fence part with enough determination, you can push the chicken wire out of your way when you come in contact with it, and/or fling yourself over it.

Actually I would not be surprised to learn that SHE CAN WALK UPSIDE DOWN on the bent in part in order to get around and over the top.

Since I don't have a spare $5,000.00 laying around to install a 6' wood fence, Daisy is now connected to a 20' tether attached to one of those corkscrew type stakes when she is outside unattended. She is NOT happy about that, and puts on her best boo-boo face when I hook her up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mom of 2 Beagles - I just can't do the electric fence thing. I'd feel too bad, plus I'm just certain that she wouldn't care! She'd deal with the shock in order to get to the bunnies beyond. Her hunting instinct is incredibly strong.

When she does get out and I finally get close enough to break the bunny spell, she cowers down and knows she's been bad. I don't spank her or anything, I simply pick her up and carry her back home. Once inside I tell her she's been bad, but I don't prolong it. I just don't think she has any control when she is chasing a rabbit.

Bob, that's certainly not encouraging to hear about Bagel! If I did get a wood fence, I know I'd have to break the rules and have the pretty side facing in. The normal side that faces in, with the 2 or 3 cross pieces of wood, would surely be a fine staircase for Daisy.

I have to add that when I first put the chicken wire extension on, I watched her looking up at it. She was kind of intent. I could almost see those little beagle brain wheels turning, like she was sizing it up and figuring out how to overcome it. And she did.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts