Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can this cute little 18 pound dog be SUCH A CHALLENGE??!! I mentioned on my thread in the Adoption forum that she could scale a chain link fence. Well, I bought some chicken wire, and added a 12 extension to the top of the fence, and bent it inwards. That was an idea I found on the net, and it worked.

For about 2 weeks.

This darned dog figured out that chicken wire is really not that strong, and even though it is bent over, if you climb the chain link fence part with enough determination, you can push the chicken wire out of your way when you come in contact with it, and/or fling yourself over it.

Actually I would not be surprised to learn that SHE CAN WALK UPSIDE DOWN on the bent in part in order to get around and over the top.

Since I don't have a spare $5,000.00 laying around to install a 6' wood fence, Daisy is now connected to a 20' tether attached to one of those corkscrew type stakes when she is outside unattended. She is NOT happy about that, and puts on her best boo-boo face when I hook her up.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Daisy, you are a wild and smart little girl. Too smart for your own good sounds like. She sounds like our Sadie, very determined to do as she wants. What about some sort of an electric fence or invisible fence along the top of your fence? I don't know though, it could hurt her? Daisy, be good!!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Spider Beagle, Spider Beagle
Does what ever a Spider Beagle does.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Joe and VinnySpider Beagle, Spider Beagle
Does what ever a Spider Beagle does.
I was thinking the same thing...were you picturing Homer Simpson walking Spider Pig along the ceiling at the same time? LOL!

Daisy sounds like a very smart and determined girl.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Wonder if a wood fence would work, a 6 foot block wall didn't work with the Bagel when I rescued him. He used the top of the block wall as a walkway to freedom. I solved the problem by adding two more rows of blocks and that has thwarted Bagel's efforts for 10 years now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mom of 2 Beagles - I just can't do the electric fence thing. I'd feel too bad, plus I'm just certain that she wouldn't care! She'd deal with the shock in order to get to the bunnies beyond. Her hunting instinct is incredibly strong.

When she does get out and I finally get close enough to break the bunny spell, she cowers down and knows she's been bad. I don't spank her or anything, I simply pick her up and carry her back home. Once inside I tell her she's been bad, but I don't prolong it. I just don't think she has any control when she is chasing a rabbit.

Bob, that's certainly not encouraging to hear about Bagel! If I did get a wood fence, I know I'd have to break the rules and have the pretty side facing in. The normal side that faces in, with the 2 or 3 cross pieces of wood, would surely be a fine staircase for Daisy.

I have to add that when I first put the chicken wire extension on, I watched her looking up at it. She was kind of intent. I could almost see those little beagle brain wheels turning, like she was sizing it up and figuring out how to overcome it. And she did.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Isn't it amazing how smart they are! On a brighter note, both our boys were and are on tethers since they were pups...they don't like it when the bunnies are a foot away teasing them...but we don't have a fenced yard; and we rent, so there's not a fence in Cobi's future. They hated it at first, but now I don't think they notice, it's just part of life. Rather the tether,than losing her.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Beagles can be amazing problem solvers. Franny used to stare at problems until she figured them out. Usually on the first try. It was fascinating to watch.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I tether Henry while he's wearing a harness, and he's fine with it. I don't ever leave him alone except for a few minutes at a time, though, because then he gets lonely and doesn't care about interesting smells, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Your Daisy is a lot like our Sadie. Sadie is a free spirit. She has always been the more destructive and hyper and crazier of the 2 we have now. She is also an excellent back yard hunter. If she catches a scent of something in the back yard, she could run the scent for hours. Running back and forth and all around the yard sniffing. Pooh Bear will follow for a while, but gives out soon. Nothing can deter her from her hunt except catching her and bringing her inside. Once inside she will pace and whine and drive you crazy wanting to go back out. We have an electric fence because Sadie and Pooh dug out many times when they were puppies. We have the wire kind along the bottom of our wood 6 foot fence. We live near a highway and lots of streets and lots of cars and I couldn't bear the thought of one of them getting out and getting hit by a car. Sadie knows exactly how close she can get to the wire without touching it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh, Daisy, you are a smart little girl! Shame on you!

We never had a fence, but when Toby was young, if he got off leash and caught a scent, he was gone! There was no calling him back! Luckily, we lived in the country. The few times it happened, I would check and check outside to see if he was back - around two in the morning and there he would be burrowed down in some leaves (usually covered in horse poop) sleeping off the wild time!

We live in town now and Toby is more in his retirement phase! Lucky has already managed to get out of the door a couple of times, but he never goes any further than the house across the street to see the neighbors sweet dogs!

In some ways, I think we all can empathize with you!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts