Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're still having the issue of finding Bo a dog food that she likes. We've been through a couple now, but she usually grows tired of it by the second bag. I know I am to slowly introduce her to new food by mixing it with what she has now, but it's a large bag, and we've got a long way to go with this one. So, I've been trying to figure out how I can get her to eat what she currently has. I've added yogurt and some egg before (not at the same time). She's enjoyed both, but doesn't want to have it all the time. Who would? What else can I mix with her food?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I wouldn't get her used to mixing "yummy people stuff" with her dry food. You can try adding a little warm water and letting is sit 2 minutes before giving her the food. It makes the smell a little more intense and the food a little softer, they usually gulp it in... :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I always add some human food to my dog's kibble. I often use Cottage Cheese, yogurt, apple sauce, ketchup (not too much and not very often, too much sugar), broth, grated cheese, mashed potatoes, you name it. Basically anything that is safe for them to eat, I don't have trouble adding it. I have many times considered switching to home cooked for my two but have not done it yet so for now, I just add to give them some good fresh stuff.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would just leave her regular food down, and not give her treats. She'll eat it when she's hungry enough. Not because I'd want to be cruel, but I wouldn't want to keep switching her kibble because of pickiness.

Every once in awhile I'll add things like a little broth, the water from sardines (giving him the sardines later), just enough olive oil to make the food shiny, the water off of boiled meat. Some people mix in a few teaspoons of wet dog food too.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Oh, and I also don't free feed my dogs. The food goes down and they have 20 minutes to eat. If they have not eaten it all, I pick the food up and they get fed again at dinner. Your dog might go 2 days without eating but then they quickly learn that when it is time to eat, they eat. Don't worry if they miss a few meals, it will not hurt them at all. They just like to hold out for something better. I wouldn't be switching kibble all the time either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts