Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Beaglina spayed today and she's miserable and I feel horribly mean... I really thought that it was the best thing for her - but now I'm not so sure that it's any less selfish and unnatural than practices like docking tails / declawing cats and all that sort of thing... but, that's probably a whole other post...

What I was wondering is, if you had your Beag spayed, how long it took for her to get back to being her normal self and whether you used a big non-scratch collar - I am using one as my vet has recommended it til the stiches come out in 10 days but just curious to hear what other vets have said.

Thank you!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby was back to her normal self either the very next day or the day after. We did not use a scratch collar, Abby didn't bother the area at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We had Bailey & Ginger spayed at the same time and they both did great. We did not have to use a collar (and it wasn't even mentioned to us). They were a little groggy the first night and then just moved a little slow the next day but it didn't last much longer than that. The last Beagle I had, Casey, was running up the steps in a day or so (even though they said not to let them do the stairs for a while!) It was hard keeping her down.

You did the right thing if you are not going to breed her. There will be no going into heat, males trying to get to her, etc. She'll be fine soon!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie didn't bother her stitches. She felt pretty good the next morning. In fact, I had a hard time keeping her quiet.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had the Wonder Twins spayed a couple of weeks ago and they stayed overnight. When they got back we discovered that Lillie was going through a false pregnancy (humane society thought she was still in heat) and we think it was because my neighbor has 8 puppies and we think the hormones in the air caused her to have this false pregnancy. It was about 5 extra days before I got my *Girls* back.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I know it's different with neutering, but when I got Charlie done, he acted like nothing was done. Was back to himself the next day after the meds wore off.

I hope Marley follows in his foot steps.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh my god Dean - Chloe is going on Friday as well. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif ..... will cross my fingers for both Chloe and Beasley!!!!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I think neutering might be a bit different. Lucky was back to normal the next day. He didn't have a scratch collar because he had no stitches. They used glue to hold him together. When my family dogs were spayed, they didn't use a scratch collar either. They were better the next day. Maybe it depends on the dog!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had been wondering about this too. I had waited to fix Maggie until she had her first heat, and of course, got the oops 7 pups out of the deal, but they will be 3 months old tomorrow so I think I had better get her done soon if I am going to keep her. I am probably going to take both her and CHopper at the same time. I figure then they can be together the night and afterwards, so they will be OK then. Will see how it goes. Have to wait til next week though, til I get my student loan money.
Judi and the gang

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
My female lab stayed overnight and was feeling better within a day of coming home.

For those about to spay....get the collar! I didn't with my cat, Phoebe. Vet told me it's rarely a problem and guess what? We were at the emergency vet that night and spent a fortune getting her re-stitched. Then she had to wear the collar for 10 days. Yes, she hated it, but at least she was unable to reopen her wound and cause an infection. I made my lab wear the collar when she had foot surgery recently. She used it as a weapon and we were all thrilled when it came off, but the foot healed perfectly!

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Oh my goodness...beagles are sooooo good at making you feel sooooo bad. When Skye was spayed she sulked like a good 'un for a whole 24 hours but she was physically fine. The boys were the same (excluding Andrew of course :biglaugh: ).

If she hasn't done so already, she will be up and about in no time and has probably thoroughly enjoyed the extra pampering, treats, hugs and awwwws that no doubt she received from you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well Beaglina seems to be getting back to herself at last - (48 hours since her op) phew! She's hungry and curious about everything again which is great to see - I felt so guilty seeing how panicked she was at the vets and then so miserable back home.

RE the collar, in the end I haven't put it on as she doesn't seem to be bothering her stitches - but she hasn't been left on her own yet so it's been fairly easy to make sure she's ok

Good luck for Friday Chloe's Mommy and the Dean

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Looks like Chloe will have to wait with the surgery for another week (hopefully she won't get her first heat by then).
I was sure the Friends For Animals certificate will arrive by mail by now - didn't happen.
I can't afford the full fee for the operation so I'll wait until I get the certificate. It's a difference of almost $200.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
Looks like Chloe will have to wait with the surgery for another week (hopefully she won't get her first heat by then).
I was sure the Friends For Animals certificate will arrive by mail by now - didn't happen.
I can't afford the full fee for the operation so I'll wait until I get the certificate. It's a difference of almost $200.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
We had the Wonder Twins fixed through our local humane society because it cost $57 each vs $145 each. They had to be taken to a town 70 miles away and stay overnight, thus giving their Mommy one of the worst anxiety attacks of her life :lol2: , but it was very worth it. They were also just glued together and we had no problems.

One thing we were told that I found hilarous was we had to keep them inside and not playing for 10 days...........that lasted about 3 hrs! They perfer the backyard most of the time anyway and there was no way they were staying inside. They did great for having surgery!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.