Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been so long since I had a puppy that I'm not sure what the answer is to this. How old should Daisy be before I take her in to be spayed? My last dog was a male, so I'm not sure what to expect from the procedure. Ben was a little sore, but then neutering is not as invasive (or at least doesn't seem like it would be, I could be wrong).

ETA: OOPS! This probably should have been in the Health and Wellness forum. Sorry!!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie was spayed at 6 months. My vet keeps them overnight. She appeared to feel pretty good when I brought her home. I remember we were supposed to feed her lightly the first day but Maggie told us otherwise. Keeping her quiet was probably the toughest part. She wanted to run and jump and be herself.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Consult with your vet, but usually they can be spayed from 4 months of age. I would advise that you take her sometime between 5-6 months.

The procedure is very simple and they usually bounce back in a few hours from the surgery.
When I wook Chloe, she was almost 7 months old (just couldn't do it before that) and they did the procedure with laser. The cut was barely half an inch, and she had only 1 suture. When I picked her up after the surgery, she was a little bit like a drunk beagle, but 2 hours later she was jumping on the sofa again. 10 days later the vet took the stitch out and that was it.

Good luck! and it's the right decision to get her spayed.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree - my vet won't spay/neuter before 4-5 months. My Chloe was spayed about 5 months - before she ever had a chance to go into heat. Lottie was spayed immediately after a c-section - and for the most part, they've recuperated well. It IS easier for the "guys", not such a big deal for them. As Connie said, the hardest part is keeping them "quiet" - but if they're crate trained, that's a little easier, too. With my "pack", I have to keep them segregated for a while until they're "recuperated".
Good luck! She'll be FINE, mommy.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Sydney was spayed at around 6 months and SPencer was neutered at 4.5 months. Like others said, I think it depends on your vet and when they would feel comfortable doing it. Definitely before their first heat though.

·
Registered
308 Posts
We were not able to get the Wonder Twins to the Humane Society prior to their first heat (Lillie went into her cycle at 6 months to the day and Chloe went at about 7 1/2 months). We ended up getting them there about a week after Chloe went into heat and the vets still did hers without extra cost. Come to find out, the vets thought Lillie was also in heat but we figured out later that she was having a false pregnancy because she produced milk (my neighbors had 8 new puppies that lived on the other side of our fence so she smelled all the puppy smells.).

The Wonder Twins had to stay overnight because the animal hospital that the Humane Society used was out of town. We picked them up the next day and they were glued instead of stitched. They were also back outside *hunting* like normal in our fenced in back yard.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Dixie is set to be spayed on February the 7th.

She turns 6 month old on the 4th.

they said not to feed her after 10pm the night before surgery, and she will have to stay over the night.

then Friday i will pick her up after school and i can stay at home with her while she recoups.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I took Abby to be spayed right before she was due to start her second heat. Her first heat was very rough on her and that was one of the major contributing factors in why I decided to spay her.

I dropped her off in the early morning and picked her up in the evening. She was dopey from the anesthesia, but didn't need pain medicine. She was back to her normal self in a couple days.

From the place I got Abby spayed:
"Pets can be safely spayed or neutered as early as 8 weeks of
age. We prefer to wait until 3 months at which time the puppy
or kitten should have already had a series of vaccines.

Historically, there has been concern about stunted growth,
obesity, urinary incontinence, behavioral changes, and
increased risk under anesthesia. However, studies have shown
that there is no substantial difference in criteria between those
done at early-age (8-14 weeks), or those done at sexual
maturity (6 months)."

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've worked in vets' offices since I was a kid and most won't spay or neuter before 4 months and recommend spaying females before their first heat cycle. That gives you a window of a few months. I can also tell you that all the spays (and neuters) I've participated in have been super simple procedures. Your babe will be on the table less than 10 minutes and probably only under anethesia for an hour or two. That is really the main concern with young animals, not so much the surgery itself. Even if your vet doesn't do the laser, the procedure is still very simple and fast. Keep in mind that our little girl critters generally have a lot less fat around the midsection when compared to a human female getting a c-section or hysterectomy, which are painful procedures. Also, women having these surgeries generally need six weeks to recover, while I've seen little girl pups bouncing around a few hours later. Lucky dogs,
Melissa

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've always had our females spayed at approximately 6 months except for my Li'l Girl who was a year or more old when adopted. She was the only one who didn't bounce right back, but I think that was because she wasn't at her peak condition when she came to us.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My vet won't spay (or neuter) BEFORE about 5 months - tho I know that many shelters will do it as early as 8 weeks. He says the reason he won't do it so young as is because it's very difficult to judge how much anesthetic to use in little ones - shelters don't have owners to deal with if they "over-do" the anesthetic and the pups die. Usually I wait until after their first heat cycle if having them spayed - however, with Chloe, I had a young intact male who was OVER twice Chloe's size - we were afraid to let her go into heat, as Dr. Randy said if Romeo got to Chloe it would probably kill her. I couldn't take a chance, so we did it at about 5 months. She recuperated quickly - tho it wasn't "laser" surgery, and she did have several stitches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts