Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting our little Molly (6 mos.) spayed tomorrow and I have a question. The secretary at the Vet's office said they might recommend an optional $50 blood test prior to the surgery that would check liver and heart functions to make sure she can do well in the surgery and handle the anesthesia.

She is a very healthy little beagle. Would you guys pay the extra for this test?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Our vet didn't recommend this when Penny was spayed - and she came through with absolutely no problems. Not sure what to recommend here - I guess I would have paid - had the Vet suggested it, but that would be because I trusted his judgement. I'd hate to think it was an unneccessary extra!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We did with our guys. My philosophy is better safe than sorry :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
never heard of such a thing!
my skeptical nature would suspect its just to make a little more money.
but things change faster than i can keep up with so if a vet i trusted recommended it i would probably pay.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I didn't pay for it...then again...Cassidy did have an adverse reaction to the anestesia and had to stay for the weekend...and she was a healthy pup. Your call.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The vet suggested the same blood work when my pups were spayed, but as I remember, the cost was not nearly $50.
I think our vet charged a little less than this too. However, our vet is very reasonable (price) compared to others and they are very caring vets, not sales people. If I didn't know this about them already I would have been leery too. This is why I trusted them and had the test done. I do know why someone might be skeptical, I have encountered "salemen" vets and do not like that at all!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have just booked in our Corgi to be spayed on Tuesday and our vet did not mention this test. The only thing that was recommended was paying extra for additional pain relief medication.

·
Registered
959 Posts
WE have paid for the blood test with both boys. It was worth it, because they did find out that Cobi did need to have a different than the "normal" anethsia (sp)....so it was worth it I thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just as a follow-up, we DID go ahead and pay the extra money to be safe. Molly made it through the procedure with flying colors! It's been a week since she was spayed and she is doing great. Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Thanks for the update! I am so glad Molly is doing well:dance:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts