Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maggie is 6 mos and we are getting ready to make an appointment with the vet for her to be spayed. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif I know that we will need to keep her from jumping and etc. after the surgery, but how do you contain a beagle? Can it be done? Also, how long is the incision and did anyone need to put a "elizabethan collar" on their beagle?+

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Your Maggie will probably be passed out when she comes home from her spay and sleep for that first night. Prepare for lots of sad looks. She'll likely be listless for a day or two and stay to her crate (if you're using one, which I recommend) quite a bit, but she'll start to be her old self again by the third day or so. Your vet may give you a cone collar or give you the option of buying one; make sure it fits her ok, because our Bones' cone did not fit at all.

The incision our vet made was very small, maybe an inch or so. Be aware of how Maggie treats her surgery wound in the days after surgery; Bones played surgeon and pulled out her own stitches (and may have helped Spock with his stitches as well) just about when we were supposed to take them to the vet to get the stitches out (10-14 days after surgery).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe had a laser surgery, so the incision was about 1 cm long, only one suture.

I didn't use an elizabethan collar on her, as I was on vacation from work and was with her ALL the time. Apart from the fact that since the incision was so small, it didn't bother her one bit! She was jumping up and down the furniture about 3 hours after I got her home that afternoon after the surgery.

Unless you put Maggie in a crate that whole time, I don't think you can get a beagle to sit still!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif

·
Registered
308 Posts
Our Girls were groggy the first evening. After that, they were back to normal and the incision (that was glued, not stapled) never bothered them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.