Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are everyone's opinions on it? I'm thinking of having Luigi neutered, but I wanted to hear everyones take. I know that I do not plan to breed him...

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
If you are not breeding him, then neuter him (actually, a lot of people who are breeding should neuter theirs as well because they are doing it for the wrong reasons). It is better for his health to be done. Less chance of complicatoins later on. We had Spencer done at 4.5 months old and to this day (3.5 years) he still squats to pee. LOL They say if you do it early enough, they may never lift their leg. I love that he is not a marker.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, part of Luigi's current indoor peeing problem probably is due to the whole territory marking thing...

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Spencer has never once marked his territory. It gets rid of the sexual frustration that they have as well apparently, reduces the urges a little I guess you could say.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Since you're NOT planning to breed him, neutering is far better for him. It totally eliminates the possibility of testicular cancer and some other health problems. It will also calm him down and and help with the marking problems. I have 4 males - 3 of them are neutered. I am a firm believer in spaying and neutering (and yes, I know, I am a hobby breeder, but until a few years ago every dog I've ever had was spayed or neutered - most still are). My vet won't do the surgery until they're 4-5 months old - tho some shelters and rescues will neuter (or spay) much younger. I've never had a problem with any of my boys - they're usually "up and at 'em" as soon as they wake up.
The vet always says to keep them calm for a few days - yeah right - it's almost impossible to keep a beagle "calm and quiet" when they're feeling well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does spaying have the same settling down effect on females that neutering has on males?

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
They say so but I never really noticed much change in either Spencer or Sydney (I say this as they zoom through my house after eacho other). Who says they calm down at 2 years old??? LOL

·
Registered
134 Posts
My Kioko was spayed on Saturday. It's Tuesday here, and she's behaving as if nothing ever happened (except that she won't jump down off the furniture anymore. Momma has to lift her down. HA HA HA).

Neutering/Spaying is just mandatory in my view for dogs who are not being raised for breeding.

There is a laundry list of advantages and health benefits for getting them sterilized and there are NO disadvantages. Luigi will live longer, be a better citizen, and will never produce unwanted puppies.

I vote an emphatic "yes."

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't really know anything about neutering dogs, I don't think it's common practice here, though I had my cat done to stop him wandering off and getting into fights and it worked - phew!

Having volunteered for an animal rescue organisation I have to be in favour of spaying - but I found it really upsetting when I had my Beag done - so I'd say be prepared for the fact that they don't all bounce back after a few hours, it's an invasive operation and (sometimes) they need time to get over it.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Males get over it a lot easier than females do. Spencer was just tired and slept the first day but the next day, he was fine. Sydney on the other hand was pacing and throwing up all day, she wouldnot rest at all. I was up until 2:00am with her when she and I finally passed out on the livingroom floor. It might be harder on some than others but really, for the couple days of them not feeling well, it is so worth it in the end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I had Pepper spayed it only really calmed her down for about 24 hours. That was because of the general anestetic. She had internal stiches which was great because it stoped her trying to lick her wound. Once we had her home, the only issues we had was some vomiting. we checked with her vet and it was just a reaction to the anesthia. Its really worth having done though. Eliminates so many problems they may face in the future.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Spock and Bones were over their respective surgeries, done at the same time, in a matter of days. Even though Bones had the more invasive spay, she was jumping down off furniture by herself by the third day. She was always a little reckless daredevil, though. I have noticed no adverse reactions, and I know I won't have to worry about unwanted puppies. There are resources out there to help with the cost, if that's ever an issue, and getting my pair done before they were a year old, as small as beagles are, wasn't that expensive. Here in Dallas, Spock was neutered for about $110 and Bones was spayed for $125, to give a baseline for how much it costs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
if your not breeding him then i (like a lot of people here) would say to go ahead and get him neutered. i was thinking about breeidng diesel cause he is a perfect beagle. hight body type temperment. everything.. but then i thought about how many dogs are already in a shelter i just couldnt possibly put more there

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We didnt have our first two beagles neutered and ended up with 2 lots of unplanned pups. One of the bitches got cancer. Our present two are neutered and quite honestly I think its the correct thing to do. There are too many dogs in the world, many destined to be euthanised. So please go ahead and get Luigi 'done' it is really for the best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts