Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking Grace to the vet Friday before the Beagle rescue can list her. They told me that she could be spayed even if she is pregnant. I have NO CLUE about expectant dogs and was wondering if this sounds right.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Perhaps losing the pups might be healthier for Grace, and there wouldn't be more pups to find homes for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
I know, it's a sad thought.....but sometimes it's the most humane thing to do.
What a tough decision. You're a wonderful foster parent to take Grace in for the necessary surgery....she's very blessed to have found your home. :heart:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes they do do this procedure. When I had my Sadie at first they offered to spay her even if she was pregnant. Now, My baby Maggie (sadie's daughter) just is getting done with her first heat and I know my fiance doesnt want more pups, though neither do I, I dont want to put her thru that either! I have tried to keep her apart from her male friend as much as I can, but I wouldnt mind the pups either way! Of course I would find some homes for them. Beagles are not very prevalant around here, at least not ones from good homes.

to me it is sad. Doggie abortion basically. I dont want to start a huge debate however, because in humans I have somewhat of a different opinion, but mainly for the simple reason that humans have the ability to make choices. Dogs can make choices, sure, but they have a hard time communicating them to you! it is mother nature for dogs to have pups and to continue the circle of life. of course it is for us too, but we have plenty of people that can choose to have babies and all of that.

Well anyhow, I dont want to start a big argument either, so please dont take my opinions wrongly, but I guess it just makes my heart ache to think of spaying while pregnant.
Judi

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remain hopeful that she is not pregnant. Primarily because she has lost so much size and weight in one week, and she acts as though she's part Jack Russell Terrier--sometimes bouncing off the walls! My regular vet told me that expecting moms usually take it easy, and stay close to their "nest." Personally, I do not want her spayed if she is expecting, however, both the rescue group owner and I will deal with it if and when we have to. Tonight she got a B-A-T-H which she evidently enjoyed--giving me lots of kisses when she got dried!

·
Registered
146 Posts
in the rescue I volunteer for we've had to do it when it affected the health of the mother. I cried for days thinking of all the sweet little beagles that will never have a life, but what else could we do?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I can agree that it would be necessary if it meant saving the momma.
I guess I never found on here though-did it come back that she was preg or not? I know I saw another forum posting that she was checked in to the vet for everything... just was curious
Hopefully (but I am sure) that she will find a good home that loves her ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Judi and the gang.
Harley :p
Maggie :evilgrin:
Chopper :rotatesmiley2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
CLinically speaking, you can spay while pregnant, however there is a timeline alot of vets won't cross, because it may be hazardous for the mother. (The first spay I ever assisted with was with a pregnant cat. Blech)

Dogs are pregnant about 60 days, and we wont spay after 45. There is more risk, because of the extra blood supply that has been routed to the reproductive organs and sometimes the recovery is slower.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.