Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody, I am again looking for some advice from you all. We've scheduled Dakota to get spayed and I am extremely nervous. While I know it's the right thing to do, I feel awful putting her through this. So first of all is there anything specific that I should know or look for or request of the vet that a novice dog owner (me) wouldn't know to ask? Also I'm worried about recovery time? How long before she feels normal? Also we're planning to take a trip shortly after her surgery and I'm wondering how long I should give her before leaving-I mean will I be able to care for her properly in a car on the road, if she's just going to want to sleep I can fix her up a nice bed. So I'd love to hear your thought.
Thanks in advance,
Dakota and Mommy

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby came home in the evening the day of her surgery.

Ask the vet what procedure they use (laser or other), how many stitches, if they are dissolvable or if they will need to be removed, how long for a full back-to-normal recovery and if they give pain meds to take home.

Abby spent most of that evening and the next day just laying around. The day after I believe she was back to her old self giving me heartattacks trying to jump on and off the furniture :grr:

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Wonder Twins, Chloe and Lillie was spayed August 28. They were taken to Asheville from Hickory via the Humane Society and spent the night. The next day Hubby picked them up and they were still woozy that night. But they were also out in the back yard the next morning.

They had no outside stitches and did not require a followup and totally back to normal within 48 hrs physically. Now we had a special case in that my neighbor's dog just had puppies the first of August. Chloe was in heat during the spaying and no problems but Lillie had went into heat 2 months prior to the spaying and for some reason she went into a false pregnancy and it was bad for a week trying to mentally get her out of the false pregnancy.

We got through it and now don't have to worry about any unwanted puppies!

Good luck Dakota!

PS It only cost us $57 a girl!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe was spayed 3 weeks ago. The procedure was done with laser and that evening she was back home. She was a little lethargic, but a few hours later she was already jumping on the couch.
She was given pain medication for 4 days, and the stitch (only one) was out 10 days later. She was her old self 24 hours after the surgery.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
My vet keeps them overnight. Maggie was feeling great when she came home. She did not bother her stitches at all . The hard part was keeping her quiet the first few days.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Beasley got spayed on a friday, and by Sunday she was driving me nuts again...It doesn't take long for them to bounce back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply but my hard drive went out on my computer so I've not been able to get online for a while. Dakota's spay is tomorrow. I'm still a bit nervous but I heard good things about this vet office so hopefully all will go well. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks everybody.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts