Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately it gets dark early. people who live in this area sometimes throw un eated pizza crusts, french fries, or chicken wings on the ground as they walk by my bldg or come from the bus stop. sophie is soooo determined to eat them, that sometimes she does before i can stop her. twice in the past week she has managed to swallow what i think was chicken before i could stop her. the result is, she wakes me up at about 5 am by yakking yellow foamy bile onto the floor next to my bed. then the clock is ticking. i have to clean it up and get dressed and get her outside so she can lay a massive pile of yellow pudding. it's getting old real fast. i suspect it will get worse when the weather warms. any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I would teach her the leave it and drop it commands. Daisy knows leave it and no matter how badly she wants something she will usually leave it alone if I say that. If she gets to something before I see it, then I tell her to drop it quickly followed by leave it or she will just pick it up again.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Do you walk Sophie using a halter? I find that this has helped immensely with deterring Maggie from chomping on stuff outside. As soon as she starts to get her nose into the grass, I can lift her up using the leash and halter. This works especially good on night walks.
For during the day, I taught Maggie the word nasty which works as well as leave it does.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i do use a halter, because sophie pulls like a sled dog. when i used a collar she would make herself choke. i have a bad leg and i can only move so fast. usually, if i see her in time and i tell her no, or drop it, she will. lately though she has developed this trick of turning her head a certain way so i can't see her chew. she is getting really stubborn, and some commands that used to work she is beginning to ignore. now she has learned that the lawn is a food source, and you wouldn't belive her behavior as soon as she sees me put on my shoes.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Originally Posted By: cheezyridri do use a halter, because sophie pulls like a sled dog. when i used a collar she would make herself choke. i have a bad leg and i can only move so fast. usually, if i see her in time and i tell her no, or drop it, she will. lately though she has developed this trick of turning her head a certain way so i can't see her chew. she is getting really stubborn, and some commands that used to work she is beginning to ignore. now she has learned that the lawn is a food source, and you wouldn't belive her behavior as soon as she sees me put on my shoes.
hmmm...what kind of lead do you use? I really feel that retractable leads or leashes should be used if and when a dog is reliably leashed trained. I know it's not a quick fix, but I would really try to train Sophie to be near your heels so that you can better supervise her activities. It's a lot of work, because I'm still working on Java and Lilo
It's not easy for beagles to want to explore the world with their noses.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sophie's lead is about 6' long, and pink to match her harness. here lately i have been considering one of the retractables, but for another reason.
she likes to stop and start, and the retractable kind would make it easier to manage the slack line.

·
Registered
400 Posts
i think you've got the right lead to start with. Until Sophie's reliable with it, I wouldn't switch to the retractable.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Roscoe did the same thing not so long ago. I would be sticking my hands in his mouth quite a few times during a walk and it was pretty gross. I worked on the leave it command and he learned that very quickly! We are still working on drop it for those rare occasions when he does get something in his grasp!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
[/quote] It's a lot of work, because I'm still working on Java and Lilo
It's not easy for beagles to want to explore the world with their noses. [/quote]

You are not kidding! Roscoe is great on the leash now and then came Cole...Cole is 6 months old and we are just starting to really take him out on longer walks. This morning I was out of my mind apparently and took both of them out on my own (my husband usually comes and we take one each). We looked like a three ring circus coming down the street. Cole will not let Roscoe get ahead of him, Roscoe doesn't care he just wants his nose to the ground and get away from Cole, and I am in the middle getting twisted in leashes and trying to keep my sanity! Those noses lead the way and they don't care about anyting else. God bless those NYC dog walkers who take 5+ dogs at a time!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if i actually see her chewing someting she will drop it if i tell her to. the trouble is, she is sneaky. sometimes when she finds something, she has this way of positioning her head that i cant see if she is chewing. she is a crafty one. i have to give her credit though, when i reach in her mouth to get something, she ALWAYS allows it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts