Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, as you know from reading my introduction I lost my girl Moejoe about two weeks ago and less than a week after I lost Moejoe I adopted this beautiful six year old Beagle.

This was shot as we stopped at Walmart on the way home to buy her a harness. She slept on the driver's seat the entire time my wife was in the store.

As we have gotten to know her and she knows us I really think that she was just a "dog" to her previous owner. Where she did not get a lot of love and where she was not played with or rubbed or even just cuddled up with.

She is her happiest when she is looking outside or she is outside. She does love a good belly rub at times but she does not like to play or cuddle or to be hugged. So we have realized that she was not shown a lot of love. We know that she wants nothing more than to please us because she has learned very quickly to not try and run out.

I don't know the real reason she was given up but she hangs her head as if she is sad. And that makes me sick to think that whoever had her before us treated her as if she was just a dog.

I will keep everybody updated as things go but my wife and I are in it for the long haul and she is not the first dog that we have had that was thrown away or abused.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I know Sophie is going to have a wonderful life with you. It might just take her a little time to get acclimated. It sounds like she is doing well, all things considered. You may find her becoming more affectionate, as she gets to know you. At this point, she probably doesn't even understand what affection is. The two of you need to build a bond and she needs to learn to trust you. It doesn't seem like that is going to take such a long time.

·
Super Moderator
5,111 Posts
Thank you so much for giving her a home. One of my rescues was a hunting dog and we are sure she was kept in a kennel with a bunch of dogs. She is the sweetest thing ever now and loves to be loved. They know when they are finally home.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6-February-2018

Sophie seems to be doing a little better today. She is starting to learn that when we tell her to move away from the front door she is doing it. She still hogs the door a lot and wants to get out but she is learning that she is home and that we do love her. When we tell her to do something and she responds the way we want her to we praise her. She is responding very well to that.

The thing that concerns us and makes us think that she was kept kenneled or was locked up is that she will only urinate or have bowel movements is once a day usually in the evenings. I take her and her brother Gizzy for a long walk in the mornings before work and my wife will walk her and Gizzy five or six times a day. I usually take them both for a long walk when I get home from work at night. I walk them completely around the complex and give them a little time to run and play in the dog park during that time.

The other night Sophie jumped up on my wife lap while she was in the recliner, I think she did this so that her brother Gizzy could not get in my wife's lap. Gizzy is the little guy on the floor.

Here is another picture of the two of them laying on the couch.

Sophie is not our first rescue baby. Moejoe was a rescue, her original owner was a truck driver and had a major health issue and could not take care of her. One of the guys I worked with at the time was fostering her and I adopted her from him. Gizzy was very much close to death when Abbey and I rescued him. He was wondering around the apartment complex that I worked at and when we finally got him into the leasing office the manager wanted to call animal control. I told her I would take him home and my wife and I would find him a home. That was almost 7 years ago. He weighed only 4 pounds and the pads of his feet were burned. He was very distrustful of us when we got him and the day before he was suppose to go to the vet to be nurtured and for rescue agency come and get him my wife woke up with him lay in the crock of her arm with his head on her shoulder just looking at her. That was it and as the saying goes the rest is history. It took almost a year for Gizzy to find his voice and almost three years for him to totally relax with us.

So we are ready and willing to be there for the long haul with her.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Dave, you and Abbey are good people. I know Sophie will blossom, in your hands. Gizzy is a little cutie pie too. Great save.

Did you already post a picture of Moejoe somewhere? I would love to see her picture.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave, you and Abbey are good people. I know Sophie will blossom, in your hands. Gizzy is a little cutie pie too. Great save.

Did you already post a picture of Moejoe somewhere? I would love to see her picture.
Here she is. She was always such a good girl.

I am in the process of uploading photos to my smugmug account.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday was a good day for Sophie, although she did get scared when the carpet cleaners were here and they were doing the unit upstairs. Her and Gizzy get along so well that she uses Gizzy as a pillow half the time.

We are seeing signs that she was trained to go outside only once a day in the evenings. She loves to go out for walks but will only go potty once a day. We are working with her about that and have talked with our vet about it

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
MoeJoe was such a cutie. Looks like she had some real personality too. Again, so sorry for your loss.

I am so happy to see that Sophie and Gizzy are hitting it off. That is awesome.

Maybe Sophie's system has to adjust to going potty multiple time per day. I'm sure things will change, once she realizes she doesn't have to hold it for so long. Precious baby.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
MoeJoe was such a cutie. Looks like she had some real personality too. Again, so sorry for your loss.

I am so happy to see that Sophie and Gizzy are hitting it off. That is awesome.

Maybe Sophie's system has to adjust to going potty multiple time per day. I'm sure things will change, once she realizes she doesn't have to hold it for so long. Precious baby.

Moejoe had a very mischievous side to her. But we are finding that Sophie is just as mischievous if not more than Moejoe was. She loves to drink out of the toilet.

Here she is at the park last Saturday. I had to laugh she chased the ducks and the pigeons but when it came to the Canadian and other Geese she was afraid of them.

And she is starting to get into the habit of going potty when we take our older dog out in the morning and through out the day.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Thank you for rescuing these beautiful fur-babies!

My Sophie is also a rescue. She was so badly abused that when we got her, you couldn't touch her without being bitten (she has seizures because of a head injury, for example). Now she is a much happier, stable girl. The vet says that she is the most laid back beagle that he has ever met. Love does wonders, doesn't it?

Your Sophie looks like she is settling in nicely - she is lucky to have you and your wife!

Can't wait for more updates!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for rescuing these beautiful fur-babies!

My Sophie is also a rescue. She was so badly abused that when we got her, you couldn't touch her without being bitten (she has seizures because of a head injury, for example). Now she is a much happier, stable girl. The vet says that she is the most laid back beagle that he has ever met. Love does wonders, doesn't it?

Your Sophie looks like she is settling in nicely - she is lucky to have you and your wife!

Can't wait for more updates!
She is really starting to loosen up for the past couple of days I have woke up to find her asleep in bed with my wife and I. And she is now talking to us more and more by giving us a low keyed howl and bark. The only issue that we have with her is that she goes into the kitchen anytime we go in there to cook or get something out of the fridge. She has even stuck her head in the fridge more than once.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Anytime either of us go into the 'food room' Rascal goes with us. :eek: Anytime we open ANY cabinet Rascal sticks her head in too. Someday she will get her nose pinched :(
techie

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
That's a beagle for you!!!!!

Because I worry about hazards, my Sophie sits at the doorway of the kitchen when we cook - and the doorway of the dining room when we eat. It takes a bit of training and patience but is worth it. I had to laugh though - at one time, we had a dog who opened the refrigerator and helped herself whenever we weren't around - I actually had to put a lock on the fridge!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anytime either of us go into the 'food room' Rascal goes with us. :eek: Anytime we open ANY cabinet Rascal sticks her head in too. Someday she will get her nose pinched :(
techie
One of our biggest fears is that she will get burned and tonight my wife dropped a fried potato on the floor and before she had a chance to do anything Sophie was right there and spit it out right away. Thank god she is okay.

That's a beagle for you!!!!!

Because I worry about hazards, my Sophie sits at the doorway of the kitchen when we cook - and the doorway of the dining room when we eat. It takes a bit of training and patience but is worth it. I had to laugh though - at one time, we had a dog who opened the refrigerator and helped herself whenever we weren't around - I actually had to put a lock on the fridge!
We are talking about getting a baby gate for the kitchen.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Love the new pictures. So glad Sophie is starting to relax and feel at home. You are going to have so much fun with her.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay we found out today she has a very caring side and a jealous side to her. I was working on the pool at work this morning and opened a bucket of Chlorine tabs and it kicked off my asthma. I ended up in the ER at UMC and when I came home I still did not fee good. Sophie laid down with me and laid to where she was against me and stayed that way all afternoon while I rested and slept.

This evening I picked up Gizzy and gave him a hug and a kiss and Sophie let out a howl of jealousy so naturally I had to pick her up and hug and kiss her. Her mom took the picture and pardon the partial thumb in the photo.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like Sophie is going to have an amazing fun life with her new family
She is and we are having fun getting to know her and I hope she is having fun getting to know us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts