Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am Joni ~ mom to 3 human children and soon to be a mommy to an almost 5 month old Beagle /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif We live on a farm but he is going to be our house dog. I've done a ton of reading on them but any "real life" experience tips I would appreciate !

Here is a pic she sent me of him ....

I look forward to learning all I can here !

·
Registered
605 Posts
Patience, patience, patience! Oh, and lots of Pupperoni sticks. They're really easy to break up, not greasy, and great motivators for the sometimes stubborn beagle! LOL

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh he is adorable! I just want to reach through the screen and rub that belly!

Patience, a sense of humor, and start training him on the basics (sit, stay, come, down, leave it) as soon as he gets home!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW, Joni! Your pup is just precious. I bet he will have a great time with your kids and on your farm. We have lots of puppy parents -- when you get a few minutes, browse in the "discussion" section for topics that you need or just post your questions. Does your handsome boy already have a name?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally Posted By: judymaggie
to BW, Joni! Your pup is just precious. I bet he will have a great time with your kids and on your farm. We have lots of puppy parents -- when you get a few minutes, browse in the "discussion" section for topics that you need or just post your questions. Does your handsome boy already have a name?
thanks ! I am leaning to Charlie but we'll see for sure once i meet him in person /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy

Welcome to Beagle World - Beagles are very intelligent, it is just that the were bred to be independent thinking. There is no comparison between a beagle and say a Border Collie. The herd dog looks to his owner for direction, the beagle analyzes and considers all his options. You give most dogs commands, you give beagles requests. You really have to understand the breed to train them but once you realize how a beagle thinks, training is really easy. Not only were they bred to be independent thinking trackers, they were bred to work together with their pack. You and your children will be his new pack and more than anything he will want to please his pack. You can easily train them with treats, after all, the beagle reasons that someone in the pack makes a request, if the beagle comply the beagle get a treat really works but so does love, praise, and positive attention. Your pups primary instincts are to sniff and track and hunt and even the tastiest treat may not trump a good scent so most of us keep our beagles leashed when not contained. Beagles can be the most macho man’s dogs and at the same time the sweetest cuddle critter around. Learn how a beagle thinks and you’ll come to appreciate the breed like no other. Once you understand the beagle, you may never find another dog that compares to the beagle breed. Good luck with the new member of your family.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Welcome to BW Joni. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/help.gif Your baby is adorable. I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.