Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently moved into a new house with some random roommates and they have a 11 month old boxer. She and Fin get along great! But I come home on Friday after work to find my two bras chewed up and my thyroid pill bottle in a pile of plastic pieces. I take Synthroid for a thyroid condition, so naturally I call the vet to see what side effects they might have. And guess what they tell me, the medicine will make them HYPERACTIVE... I busted up laughing being like, can you give me something more to go on because they are hyperactive 99% of the time. I don't know why I posted it but it made me laugh. The vet was like, is he running around more than usual, is he hyper, is his tail wagging uncontrollably. I was like yes to all 3, but that's his normal behavior.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That's hilarious. I wonder if my beagle got into someone's thyroid pills too...

·
Registered
96 Posts
A whole bottle of synthroid down the hatch? Ouch, those aren't cheap! As a fellow sufferer, I take those daily too. (disclaimer: I am not a doctor or veterinarian, take this advice with a grain of salt and don't call me in the morning!) It's hard to overdose in one sitting, since it has to react with other limited-quantity chemicals in the body. Typical side effects are basically 'hyperthyroidism' which is insomnia, hyperactivity, diarrhea, headache, elevated appetite, etc. Watch out, it may be more likely than ever to devour your stuff! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
So that's Duke's deal, he's been snitching my Synthroid pills! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

At least it seems that way. DH and I always comment that we wish we had just a little of his endless energy!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:Originally posted by jeffmeden:
A whole bottle of synthroid down the hatch? Ouch, those aren't cheap! As a fellow sufferer, I take those daily too. (disclaimer: I am not a doctor or veterinarian, take this advice with a grain of salt and don't call me in the morning!) It's hard to overdose in one sitting, since it has to react with other limited-quantity chemicals in the body. Typical side effects are basically 'hyperthyroidism' which is insomnia, hyperactivity, diarrhea, headache, elevated appetite, etc. Watch out, it may be more likely than ever to devour your stuff! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
Oh this was perfect!!! He definitely had the elevated appetite, but I've learned my lesson and my bedroom door stays closed during the day.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Beagles do not like to be left alone in the house !(Learned that the hard way)And allowing him free to roam the house adds to the problem :biglaugh: Not sure what the "underwear " thing is but seems most beagles do it ! :rotflmao:

·
Registered
991 Posts
We learned the underwear thing quickly with our first Beagles. We had both gotten home from work one summer day and our little angels were there at the door to greet us. :angel: A few minutes later I had to take something out to the trash can outside and saw all these little white piles all over the backyard. My first thought was what the .....,? The neighbors were sitting on their back deck and positively trying not to snicker. They told me they really enjoyed the floor show the troops had put on for them that afternoon. Seems the little darlings had found a laundry basket of clothes that were destined for launder that evening and managed to pull out all the briefs, shorts, panties and bras they could find and take them out in the backyard and fling them around with short games of "keep away" and "catch me if you can" thrown in to keep the neighbors' attention. :evilgrin:
I then had to pick up the "played with" and anything but tiddy whities. Of course the Beagles made themselves scarce than hens' teeth. Never again have I left anything at ground zero that could tempt my little sweethearts. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
333 Posts
Oh thankgoodness! I THOUGHT Badger was the only beagle with an undie fetish!!! It drives me crazy! He goes in the dryer to find them!!!

[/url] [/IMG]

Glad to hear the pups are ok though!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by littledude:
Not sure what the "underwear " thing is but seems most beagles do it !
Not just beagles ... I read this thread and then picked up my July/August AKC "Family Dog" magazine. On page 9 is a story of "Marley Bob", a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who, after a bout of vomiting, had x-rays as the vet suspected he had swallowed something. Yup, you guessed it! Not just one, but two pairs of underwear belonging to the owner's teenaged daughter. Story says both pairs were "eliminated naturally" -- having trouble picturing that. Not the end of the story ... guess Marley Bob didn't get his fill. Same routine but this time the dog had to have surgical removal to the tune of $3,200!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
My solution(notice I didn't say permenent :biglaugh: )has been little slap on the butt with LOUD "bad dog". Seems to have helped some . /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
291 Posts
We have a sock problem in this house. Nothing like grabbing one to put on, and realizing a certain tri colored individual has eaten half of it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Kathleen, I'm giggling aloud just thinking about the show you neighbors got! That must have been hillarious. Jersey has an underwear and sock fettish herself. We keep a baby gate up in front of the closet to keep her away from the laundry. She even chewed up a pair of jeans one time. :doh:

·
Registered
862 Posts
That was very funny, Laxmobster :rotflmao:

Boeing loves to hoard undie and terry hanky. He'd poke his nose into the laundry basket, grab a hanky, a bra or a pair of panties, and dash to his hiding place. Then he'd come out again and repeat the whole process. It takes us quite a while to get those items back :doh:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow! Good thing that the pills are not harmful to them! I think Suzy needs a couple of those pills! She sleeps ALL day, the only time she gets excited is when its time to go for a walk. When we are not home they HAVE to go to their home or else I find presents everywhere..... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Suzys mumma:
Wow! Good thing that the pills are not harmful to them! I think Suzy needs a couple of those pills! She sleeps ALL day, the only time she gets excited is when its time to go for a walk. When we are not home they HAVE to go to their home or else I find presents everywhere..... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
In all seriousness, hypothyroidism is a prevalent problem in middle-aged or older dogs, especially Beagles, and it can kill! If your dog doesn't have the energy or appetite they used to, if they are gaining a lot of weight or sleeping a lot more than usual, if their hair is more coarse than normal, if they are constipated a lot... these are all warning signs and should be looked into asap!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
:lol2:

This undie fetish is NOT limited to Beags, beleive me. Our dogs loved chewing up underwear! We had to hide the laundry because, all too often, we'd find a hold chewed right through the center of the underwear and have to toss it. Our big dogs love socks, too. We'd often come home to found up to six of them scattered around the backyard-which was dirt! :doh:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our first beagle, Bilbo, was crazy about socks, we ended up with dozens of odd socks and mostly never found the missing ones.
Our present two, Susi and Snoopy don't play, but we keep a constant watch on our medicine, as they will eat anything. I keep the tablets on a top shelf and only load our pill boxes when no hound is in the room, just incase I drop a tablet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts