Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new beagle about 3 weeks ago and he’s now 10 weeks old. I’ve had beagles growing up so I am fully aware of how they can be temperamental etc. but this is the first time I’ve experienced aggression from a puppy regarding his food. At first he was fine, then one night he went NUTS when I tried to reach into his bowl. So this was addressed and he’s been on and off with his aggression over the food. Sometimes he’s perfectly fine, no issues. This afternoon, I put his food down and put my foot over it and he growled and snapped at his food. Then I took his food away for a min and he calmed down and let me pet him and put my hands in his bowl etc. Other times I’ll get a growl and he will kinda snap in his food bowl, not directly at me. He’s snapped at one of my other dogs when he came close to his bowl, but they are old and don’t too much put him in his place. I try talking to him, petting him, and being calm. Like I said, sometimes he’s great and no issues but other times he will growl and snap at the food in his bowl. When I first got him, he got mad when I took a toy away from him but now he’s fine with me taking toys away, even treats. Of course with treats, he tries to run away, but he hasn’t growled over a treat yet. I sit with him, feed him with my hands, make sure he sits before he eats. I just hope he doesn’t progress and we are able to work through this. Does anyone have any further recommendations to get him over this food aggression?

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Definitely hand feeding is a great idea..i did it as well since my dog was puppy biting.. cup the food and let him eat and do this for a few weeks.. as the saying hoes.."dont bite the hand that feeds you". Limit your dogs area since too much freedom gets them worked up. Start training like "sit" etc so your dog listens to you. Use the same words..
Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips! So far he seems to be doing better, he will actually let me take treats from him (of course he doesn’t want me to, haha but he doesn’t growl or bite). So I think he is definitely getting better with food, he hasn’t growled at me in several days. So I am hoping we are out of the woods, but I definitely work with him still every day. It was just scary, I’ve never owned a puppy to do so. I think he maybe wasn’t living in the best conditions when we got him, but who knows. Fingers crossed he keeps moving forward!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts