Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I take Charlie in to the vet, maybe I should check with you folks first.
Ever since I started giving both boys cooked chicken meat mixed with their kibbles, their stool turned very soft. Those who are feeding meat along with kibbles do you have such problem?
Or should I worry about it. I spoiled them with the chicken meat, they will not go back to just kibbles. Kind of stuck with it. Thanks

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hmm..I give Jersey some chicken with her food and her stool is fine. I only give her a very small amount though...like a fork or spoon full for the whole bowl. Just enough to get her interested. I wonder if they are getting too much? Maybe if you added a little rice it would firm things up? If not, a trip to the vet might be in order!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I agree, rice is a good medicine for upset tums. Our last beagle was often ill after chicken. Make sure there is no skin on the meat, very fatty.
If Charlie isnt better after a couple of days, then the visit to the vet is needed.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I started adding brown rice and reduce the amount of chicken. Is it a good idea to add brown rice in their meal from now on?
My senior retriever has stomach problem and vomits frequently, x-ray shows slight liver abnormal, I hope is not the dog food. The vet recommended pepcid AC or pepto bismol, pepto bismol liquid is better, it is good for nausea, and is a lot cheaper than Pepcid AC. He is not vomiting as much now.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I feed Spencer Chicken mixed with green beans and brown rice 2 times a day mixed with Innova EVO dry food. His stools were very dark and hard and since then I switched to brown rice verses white and now they are soft and brown and sometimes a little runny.
Running stools can contribute to how you cook your chicken. I bake Spencers chicken, sometimes Frank gets lazy and grills it. Frank says that Spencer likes grilled Chicken, how Spencer tells him this is beyond me!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Spencer mom.
I usually put the chicken pieces in a crock pot, fill it with water level the chicken, and cook it for 6 long hours. I'll have the chicken broth for soup(no sodium), the chicken I debone, shred and bag them per meal in the freezer for my dogs.
I then mix kibbles along with the chicken meat. I too put can string bean in it, I rinse the the salt out first, brown rice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts