Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned somewhere that I am a catperson. When we get a bigger place, I'd like to get one. Any suggestions as to which feline breed would make the best companion for Luigi?

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
This kind:
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol3.gif

They are two peas in a pod! It took Toby a couple months to warm up to Abby but since then they're good friends.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
This kind of cat works, too!

Actually, Duke and Phoebe have become great friends because they are closer in age and both are more playful than the labs. Every morning, they have Wrestlemania on our bed and have a blast together. There are times I think Duke is getting too rough and make him stop and Phoebe will jump up and pounce him good.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We have had a Burmese and a Russian Blue both of which thought that they were beagles so either of these I would say are great with Beagles. The Russian Blue is a real softy and a really nice cat. The Burmese on the other hand hated other cats and killed every living thing in a 1/2 mile radius of the house. He was very loving just a blood thirsty so and so.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Re: So, which cat breeds get along best with beagl

I had a Ragdoll that got along with Toby quite well! I would even catch them cuddling together!!

·
Registered
865 Posts

If you want a rescue cat, I know sometimes they can tell you if the cat gets along with dogs.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

My boyfriend and I have waffled on getting a cat ever since we got Bones. She and Spock are plenty of company for one another. Do you think adding a cat into the mix would cause jealousy, and do you think the dogs would instinctively gang up on one cat (should we get two cats)? My boyfriend wants kittens, but I want an older rescue cat that's used to dogs and that can defend itself against overzealous puppy teeth.

·
Registered
20 Posts

We have two siamese cats..they avoid Linus at all cost! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Maybe that will change on of these days..nah, doubt it, the cats don't even like each other..

·
Registered
39 Posts

Well..maybe this one:

But never this one: lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

LOL, all of these little guys are cute!

But yeah, I want a rescue, not a kitten, and we're gonna wait until Luigi's a little older and won't maul the cats face off (we want a declawed cat, and i don't think that'd be a good idea with a puppy.)

·
Registered
158 Posts

Originally Posted By: Luigi88But yeah, I want a rescue, not a kitten, and we're gonna wait until Luigi's a little older and won't maul the cats face off (we want a declawed cat, and i don't think that'd be a good idea with a puppy.)
Please, please reconsider 'declawing' your cat, there's a reason why amputation is illegal in all of these countries http://www.declawing.com/htmls/outlawed.htm

Though back on the original topic this common mog works well too /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts

Toby was about 4 when we rescued him (he is not declawed, we had to agree to not declawing him as part of his rescue, but never had any intention of doing it either). We got him about a year after we got Abby, so that would have made her about 15 months (I think).

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

I don't think it's necessarily the breed, per se. It depeneds on the cat. I've heard that Ragdolls are pretty patient, but the average American Shorthair would work. Since there's an overabundance of cats you should have no trouble finding a good one. Oh, and here's a tip for an experienced cat owner: try and pick one with the loudest purr possible. From what I've seen those are the best (of course I'm rather biased; my kitty Figaro was that way and he thought he was a dog!). /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

I sure HOPE our cat Ellie gets along with my future beag! She's been VERY territorial with other cats, but hasn't seemed more than curious about the dogs that have come by. If all else fails she has plenty of hiding places.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts

Sophia is not declawed. She was here first too. Even with all of Daisy's crazy antics, Sophia has never used her claws on Daisy (or anyone for that matter). She has hissed and smacked her, but it's always with only her paw, never with claws.

·
Registered
605 Posts

I've seen kittens brought into dog homes with multiple dogs do just fine. I would say as long as the cat has plenty of places to hide it would be all right. Miss Waffles was adopted by a friend of mine who has three dogs: a cocker spaniel, a min pin, and a yorkie. All the dogs are loud, energetic, and like to play rough. She was a tiny kitten but she never let the dogs get one up on her. She plays with them, abuses them, steals their toys, etc. I think a kitten would be tolerant of dogs because they can get playful and pretty rough themselves. Miss Waffles is a real tiger and has taught quite a few dogs a thing or two, lol!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

I think it's largely dependent on the cats character rather than the breed.

My cat gets on OK with the dogs but they aren't best friends and for that reason I do not have a cute picture of dogs and cat together to show you.

But here's one of her. Don't be fooled by how cute she looks, she rules the roost in our house and isn't adverse to scratching, hissing and lunging at dogs or me if we upset her (which doesn't happen often thankfully lol)

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts

Absolutely it depends on the personality of both the dogs and the cats. Some dogs get along just find with the cats and some cats like our one cat, Yum Yum, basically has hated all the dogs so far-4 and counting! As long as there is not terrorizing by either-extreme chasing etc it will be fine plus the cats have the ability to jump and get out of the way. Our new puppy has done genital hygiene to our oldest and she is fine with it but Sam just can't understand why Yum Yum won't play with him!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts