Our Beagle World Forums banner

so, suggestions?

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  jenn1189 
#1 ·
I posted this in another thread...I thought i might've been hijacking the thread, so i started my own...

It's very frustrating. We're in week 3 or 4, and we've had the crate since day one, and he still pees and poops inside on a daily basis. Sometimes it's us, we don't speak dog, and what we misinterpret as playful barking is actually him telling us he needs to go. On the other hand, we've misinterpreted barks, thinking he needs to go, and he just plops down to smell the posies. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thsmiley_fistshake.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/exactly.gif

Neither of us is home enough to try the "tie him to us" thing. We bought a bell for him to ring, put it right at the door, and ring it every time we go out, but thats only been a few days, and he hasn't done anything with it yet.

I just now cleaned up a 4 spot poop, when i had just taken him out 10 minutes before it happened. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sign20.gif

suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Is the crate big enough that he can poo on one side and still sleep on the other? If so, can you try a divider?

Hang in there. I figure it's kinda like babies, they learn things in their own time. Oh so frustrating, though, I know...

#4 ·
All I can suggest is patience. We are still going through this occasionally with Blue and he is 10 months old. We misinterpreted many signs and spent many trips outside just sniffing. Although, he eventually got to the point that when we went out and I would say let's go potty, he would potty just to make mom happy. We only have problems now if we are in the family room in the basement, he just hasn't quite figured that out yet. I recommend that the minute he sniffs the floor, take him out and tell him potty or your choice of word. Every time he goes to the door, take him out and do the same thing. He will get it, it just takes time. You should feel blessed that he barks, Blue will sit by the door quietly until someone notices. Good luck!!!

#5 ·
he's about 4 to 4/12 months. He's crated varying amounts each day, but i try to crate him immediately after he eats for about an hour. On days my wife is off (she works 3 days a week, 12 hour shifts) he's out more than when it's just me alone, which probably creates an inconsistent schedule.

The crate is small, so no room for a divider.

#7 ·
I've been embarrassed to admit this /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif and my husband thought I was absolutely crazy when I told him this...BUT...

The way I can tell when Miley has to go to the bathroom is I look at her "butt" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleye11.gif I noticed with my last dog (a bullmastiff) when they have to pee or poop, it kind of "looks swollen" (I can't believe I just said that!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/animal18.gif)

I take her right outside and she goes. It works every time (as long as I notice the butt thing).

Alright, nobody have me committed please!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hyper.gif

#8 ·
Originally Posted By: luv_my_mileyI've been embarrassed to admit this /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif and my husband thought I was absolutely crazy when I told him this...BUT...

The way I can tell when Miley has to go to the bathroom is I look at her "butt" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleye11.gif I noticed with my last dog (a bullmastiff) when they have to pee or poop, it kind of "looks swollen" (I can't believe I just said that!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/animal18.gif)

I take her right outside and she goes. It works every time (as long as I notice the butt thing).

Alright, nobody have me committed please!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hyper.gif
OMG! I am the same way. I can't believe I just admitted that either.

#10 ·
You ladies are funny.... but it is true. I sometimes notice it with Chloe as well.

Back to Luigi: maybe until you find out how you can tell when he needs to go, just take him out once an hour (when you're with him of course) and everytime he barks.... at some point I'm sure you'll be able to tell the difference....

#13 ·
Yeah there is a lot of patience involved. Getting a fence helped, because we could just put her out anytime she wanted to go. Before we had the fence I just had to wait until she wanted to go. If she wanted to just sniff around then we would go inside and then about 15-20 mins later I would take her back out, even if she didn't bark or sniff or anything. Basically I still kept to a schedule. If I went out at 1:00 and then she barked at the door at 1:15. Lets say she just wanted to sniff, when I came back in I would still take her out 1:30-1:45. I dunno if that makes sense.

#14 ·
I just read through my Beagle book. When it talked about crate training it talked about feeding them in their crate. I was wondering if you feed Luigi in his crate? If not, maybe feeding him in there will be added incentive not to poop/pee in there since they don't like to soil where they eat.

I know you want to pull your hair out, so I thought I would throw that out there...

good luck!!

#15 ·
Nothing new to offer in the way of advice. I was banging my head on the wall for months with Duke. But ya know what? Potty training a toddler takes weeks, sometimes even months and it's the same way with pups. Some catch it really quickly, others take forever. Some you think are never going to catch on and then one day *boom*, they got it!

That's what is going to happen with Luigi. I got so frustrated that I would cry at times, BUT......he caught on. And it was a few months out of my life to get years worth of enjoyment from Duke. Just stay consistant and it will happen eventually. Good luck!

#17 ·
Originally Posted By: 7beagleladyI does require a lot of patience.
Just a tip...IMMEDIATELY after he eats he NEEDS to go out.(1/2 hour or so)
Don't give up, one day you will marvel when he asks on his own to go out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif(it WILL happen).
Yes we can always tell when they're about to poop on walks...we call it "blinking the black eye" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

#19 ·
I do the butt check too. Rosa is soooooo obvious when she needs to potty. With Sherry it's a bit harder to detect because the poor girl has a distended butt area all the time. My vet said this is because of being repeatedly made to have puppies every season and things get "stretched" for want of a better explanation /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

#20 ·
Luigi's dad, just be patient. You've got to be consistent with the potty training. I wouldn't put him right into the crate after he eats. I'd give him some time, take him out to potty and then put him into the crate. Don't bring him in until he goes. Bring some treats outside with you. As soon as Luigi goes potty, give him a treat. Pick a "potty" word and use it every time. I tell Jersey to "hurry".

Jersey wasn't reliably housebroken until she was 6-7 months old. One day she just went to the door and tapped at it to go out. It was like the light suddenly went on in her head and it all came together.

As for knowing when Jersey needs to poop...I'm another one who checks the butt to see if she needs to poop. It's very obvious when she needs to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.