Our Beagle World Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Isn't there something in the name. Public forum. Freedom of speach. Or are we all so much happier when we talk about everything nice and fluffy and about what good dog owners we are.
I am thrilled for you Isabella that you had 14 years with your cocker spaniel. And I like you don't kill spiders and other insects in my home but this thread has become so controversial because it's such an emotive issue.
It's verging on the realms of the euthanasia issue.
Williadj. You talked in a earlier post on this thread about how you love your dogs like your kids. Well I have 5 sons and I can honestly say that as much as I love my dogs it's not in the same ballpark as my kids.
But as a dog owner I believe you know your dogs and you will know instinctively when enough is enough. Bearing in mind. It would have been easier for austinsmom to drop him back to the shelter. They made the brave decision to do what they did and I feel that should not be judged.
Humans suffer every single day with terminal illness. Wouldn't it be kinder to let them go. I'm grateful that if I ever thought my dogs were suffering be it physically or tortured mentally that I could give them the gift of peace.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with BUDDYTHEBEAGLE, I myself had to make a hard decision 9 months ago. I had two pit bulls. Raised from puppies, different litters. Before anyone judge pit bulls know all facts before y'all start that stereotype crap. I grew up with this breed all my life and researched a great deal about them. So I don't need any negative bashing about the breed. If you had a bad experience with them then I'm sorry but that doesn't speak for all of them. Anyway my two were three years apart, Bronx and Ginger.The male was older and leader of the pack.

One day I go check on them in the back yard and they were practically killing each other. Blood every where. I had to separate them for about a week. My first plan was to just take one back to the shelter which was the femaleGinger, who started the fight. Bronx was a quite and very loving, barely barked. Ginger was hyper and playful. I noticed while having them separated that Bronx was feeling guilty because he knew I lost trust in him. But one day my 6 year old was playing and running like he normally did and Bronx growled at him. I wasn't present, so I asked him to show me exactly what he did. Of course Bronx acted like a angel and didn't react. The next day my son did the same thing and I witnessed along with my 9 year old son what Bronx did. His teeth were showing and he was like defending his territory I don't know for sure. On top of that the two dogs had another fight. My husband and I ended up taking them back to the shelter where we got them. I didn't tell them about the fight because they would've automatically put them to sleep. We didn't want that only because they could work with what ever temperament they had. In the five years of having them I knew they were still good dogs. It was the fact that I chose my children over them. I loved them because they were apart of the family. But never compare them to my kids. If I had to for some reason thought that a dog couldn't be around anyone else other then me then it needs to be put down. Another family shouldn't go through anything like that. Could I have kept the dogs, yeah, but I would never had taken that risk with my children. And not because they were pit bulls but because they are dogs which are animals. We believe they were readopted and have great homes. They never bit us but we wanted to prevent anything from happening.

I'm a dog lover, but I'm a mother first. No one should judge austinsmom for what choice she thought was right for her family. This is a freedom of speech site just like FB. If you don't like someone comment then don't participate in the discussion. This was my experience and I don't regret my decision and austinsmom shouldn't regret hers.

I tried a different breed and that of course is my two lovely beagles Princess and Diesel. We got them a week after we took Bronx and Ginger to the shelter. We love them and just like pit bulls I'm doing my research. And to Austinsmom I wish you the best.

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
This is an emotional topic, and a hard decision for anyone. I will point out that if a 'biter' goes to the pound, they are put down.

That said, I wish you could have found someone who knows how to rehabilitate dangerous dogs (for future reference, rescue groups often have somone like this available). I know that it can be done, because that is what I do. It takes lots of training and experience, and often years to help a dog that is so badly traumatized.

You did the best that you could, with the resources that you had. I'm so sorry that you had to go through this, and that the dog was not adequately screened first - if anyone is to be blamed, it is the individual who cleared Austin for adoption.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts