Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Austin had to go for his last walk today. We've been having issues with him biting us since we got him, and he bit my husband, relatively unprovoked, today. We had decided the last time he bit that he had no more chances. I'm so sorry, little guy, that we didn't get to you sooner, to prevent you from getting so damaged!! I love you.:cry:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No- we couldn't, in good conscience, give him to someone else, possibly with children to get injured. We had to have him put down. We've gone over and over whether we could have done anything differently, but we keep coming back to that we made the right decision, as hard as it was. We've been crying for hours!

·
Registered
91 Posts
OMG, you put a dog down because he bit you...UNBELIEVABLE!!! You couldn't find someone that had a little patience with him. Someone that could have offered him some training. PLEASE, DO NOT get another dog!:mad:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excuse me- This is incredibly rude!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH WE WENT THROUGH WITH THIS DOG!!!! He has bitten us multiple times. We have tried everything that the vets and the trainers suggested. These are not just little bites- they required medical attention. He came to us as a biter, at death's door, and we gave him all the love, leadership, and training we possibly could. I am posting in my grieving process, and you have the NERVE to reply in such a cold, condescending manner?!?!?! That is unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As an aside- If you really want to be mad at someone, be mad at the person, whoever it was, that abused him to the point where he started biting preemptively. I sure am! What a waste of what could have been an exceptional dog. It's so tragic. We tried implementing incompatible behaviors, we were incredibly careful to never be threatening when dealing with undesirable behavior, we tried positive reinforcement of desirable behaviors, and still we had a dog that could not be trusted. What is he somehow managed to escape, and one of the little kids in the neighborhood tried to be helpful and catch him for us? They may have gotten bit, and in my city, a dog that bites a child is often confiscated and put down without ever being able to see his family again- at least this way, he died in my arms, knowing that beyond all that he put us through, we loved him enough to make that very hard choice.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Oh my goodness so sad, all i can say is that you really must of been at the bitter end to come to that conclusion, he must of been an unhappy dog to be biting all of the time. So sorry for your loss :( x

Sent from my iPad using PetGuide

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
I'm so sorry for your sad experience and a difficult decision you must not have made lightly.

When I took my dog to obedience class run by 3 K9 Sheriff Officers there was a dog that came to the class that was a rescue dog about 2-3 years old (can't remember the breed) and was very aggressive. The owner was hoping the training would help. The trainers went around to each dog and interacted with the dogs in a friendly manner to get a sense of their behavior. This one particular dog wanted to bite everyone. The Sheriff trainer quietly said to the owner "I strongly believe your dog is "mentally damaged" due to his past history and will never be rehabilitated by any amount of training and is a danger to you and others. I will contact you later about this dog's future, its an unfortunate situation"...the owner took the dog and left the class and never saw that dog again.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
OMG!! I am appalled and in shock at what I just read! Wow what a heartless thing to do! My Cocker Spaniel had biting issues as well but never did it even cross my mind to put him down... he lived 14 1/2 years God rest his soul and died of natural causes. I'm sorry I have no compassion for you, but my heart goes out to that poor dog.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Austinsmom. Please ignore all the negative comments on this post. Having interacted in many posts with you since I joined this forum it is quite obvious what a good and responsible owner you are.
I would have suggested that before people started to rip into you they should have read some of your previous posts. They would have come to the same conclusion as I had in that it must have been an excruciatingly painful decision you have made.
My 11 year old son was badly bitten by my ex husbands dog last year. This is a dog with a sad history too. I tried to have something done about it. But failed. So I have to worry every time my son goes there that it will happen again. I thank you for your sensible choice to potentially prevent a parent going through the pain of watching your child in agony and stitched up.
Sometimes these dogs have been through too much.
Rest in peace Austin. Let's hope you feel free now.
And god bless you for your bravery.
And can I suggest anyone else who wishes to rip into these people try's to walk in their shoes for just a moment before they post.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, buddy and nic- We truly did try our best. It's hard to know when to make that decision. In some ways, he was improving in that the bites were becoming less frequent and he was sometimes able to keep from biting, but when he did bite, they were increasing in severity in terms of the damage done.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with Nic and BtB - when I was younger my family had a springer spaniel that had severe biting issues. We persevered and one day it bit my dad's hand so badly that he was hospitalised for a few days and had surgery on it.

My dad gave the dog to the local farmer who had a few springer spaniels and he had said previously that he would love to take the dog off our hands and work with it. A year later, or so, my dad contacted the farmer to see how he was getting on and he said that the dog was untrainable, had bitten him a few times and the vet said that he was too inbred and a danger to humans. He was put down.

If only more people had the courage to say enough is enough.

The people who criticize you are probably the same people who call for dogs to be put down when they bite children badly. It's easy to criticize without hearing the full story or walking in your shoes for a day, especially when you are sat behind a computer, miles away. You have been far braver than they could hope to be.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well said hazel. I think every dog can be trained to a point, however, as a parent myself, I tell my son not to go up to dogs unless the owner says its ok and the thought of him being badly bitten would lead me to be wanting the down to be put down. I think you have done the right thing, if its bitten his owners what he hell would it do to a child?! You have been so brave in writing on here, I wish you all the best :)

Sent from my iPad using PetGuide

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
I agree with Nic, Hazel, and Buddy...there are a few dogs that are mentally damaged due to their unfortunate past treatment or irresponsible breeding and are beyond rehabilitation. Its amazing some people are so judgemental not having lived your situation. Austinmom, I suggest you change your sign in name if you continue on this forum. Condolences.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I actually did read all Austinsmom's posts before I made my own comment. I read all about how "wonderful and well behaved" she claimed he was since she got him around 12/2011. Only once did I read a response where she told someone in Feb 2012 that Austin had stopped biting and that she was thinking of puting him down before then because of it. I did not read anywhere where she was having a biting problem with Austin and asking for advice. Maybe this was directed in personal messages...who knows. Bottom line, I have 2 beagles that I highly consider equal to my human children. I give monetary support to The Beagle Freedom Project that rescues labratory beagles(who by the way are highly mistreated and have behavorial issues) after being rescued. Would I get one of these beagles and put it down because it was untrainable or had biting issues....NEVER! I give both time and $$ to my local Beagle and Hound Rescue in honor of my beagle, Sissy(whom I rescued from them). These are the first pets I have ever owned and I take the responsibility to heart. I'm sorry but I will NEVER understand what you have done and after re-reading your posts about how wonderful Austin was...my heart is even heavier than it was before. Everyone has an opinion. Mine is just not the one you wished to hear after your post. To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My heart goes out to you because I know how hard it is to have a biter. Before I got Lucy I had a German Shepherd mix who was born to a stray dog that I fed where I worked. I had tried and tried to rescue his mother but she was just too afraid. For 3 years I fed her everyday but I couldn't touch her. One fall another dog showed up and she got pregnant. How this hadn't happened before I have no idea. She had 4 puppies. All of them were adopted. One by me and another male by my friend. At about 4 months old my puppy started showing aggression towards strangers. It got worse as he got older. But only towards strangers. He loved only his family: 3 humans, 3 other dogs and 1 cat. All others need not apply. We could not take him anywhere nor did we dare to have company unless he could be outside for a while. Trips to the vet were a nightmare. Thank god I had an understanding vet. They would schedule his appointment when nobody else was there and we had to muzzle him. We tried to tranquilize him once but he had grand mal seizures from the pills. I asked the vet once if it was my fault that he was like this and she said it was probably genetic. My dogs brother that was adopted by my friend was the same way. The second time he bit was when he attacked a little girl riding her bike. My friend's wife was in the beginning stage of alzheimers and she kept letting him out the door. They had to have him put down. I remember thinking that it could be my dog. They were brothers and alot alike. But never once did even show his teeth to me. I finally lost him to a brain tumor when he was 14. I cried for 3 days. He was the first dog that I stayed with at the end. I couldn't let the last face he saw or voice he heard be a strangers. We sacrificed a lot for him but it was hard. He was one of the best dogs I ever had and I would do it all over again.

I know this is long but until you have been in that situation you can't say what you would or wouldn't do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had my Hunter for about as long as you had Austin, And I cant even imagine having to make the decision to put her down. My heart is very sad for you right now Austinsmom. It sounds as though it was a difficult decision but the right one.

·
Super Moderator
5,052 Posts
We may or may not agree with the decision but it is hard to judge another person's decision unless it has happened to you. I assume that since the vet agreed to put the dog to sleep, that the issue was a very serious one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Too bad we can't decide when to put humans down at the drop of a dime, when they become unbearable and a threat to society. I lived with an aggressive Cocker Spaniel for 14 1/2 years so I have walked in Austinmoms shoes, sneakers and boots... but I loved him to extremes and the older he got the less aggressive he became, so it wasn't all that bad. All it took was some patience and unconditional love. Heck, I won't even kill a fly or an ant, they have just as much right to be here as I do and who am I to play God and decide when I've had enough and when it's time for them to go. If it was me and I was that distraught about the situation, at my wits end on what to do, I would have brought the dog to a shelter and let them be the deciders... I would never be able to sleep at night if I was the murderer.

This topic should have never been posted in a public forum, some things are better left unsaid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts