Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Penny Puppington - Beagle Purebred
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there ourbeagleworld folks. I've recently bought a beautiful purebred female beagle puppy last week. To make a long story short, this is the first time I’ve ever owned a dog. I'm seeking advise from experienced beagle owners about dog training my beagle.

About Me: I currently live in an apartment in New Jersey, USA with my fiancée (soon to get married next month). I'm a virtual worker (meaning I work from home) as a Project Manager for an IT company. My fiancée works an office job from 8am - 5pm. We will soon be moving to the State of Florida next year once our house is ready, and once my fiancée finds a job down there. I've never had the experience of being a dog owner, but my fiancée has grown up with many different breeds of dogs since she was a kid.

Why We Got A Beagle: Because they are adorable :) lol we particularly got a beagle because they have a reputation of being really good family dogs, being a relatively healthy breed with a long life span, and overall a great dog to cuddle with.

About My Beagle: She’s currently 9 weeks old and is very adorable. Here name is Penny Puppington. She's occasionally rambunctious, but sweet and playful. We purchased her from a farm in PA and she's from a litter of 4 dogs. See picture below:

Car Dog Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

Training Concern - Potty Training: From day 1 we’ve began crate training her. We want Penny to learn that she has a living area where she eats and sleeps. When we first got her she cried and barked a lot in the crate. As each day progressed, the crying and barking was bit less. She sleeps somewhat through the night and wakes up a bit earlier than the crack of dawn. The biggest challenge we're encountering is that she pees (a lot). We are training her to go to the bathroom outside. Since the first day we got he she has had only 3 poop accidents (1 on the living room carpet, and 2 in the crate). Every other time she goes poop is outside. I like to think that she knows not to poop where she sleeps / eats. We do the usual treat / good dog praise for when she goes to the bathroom outside. It can get very frustrating when I take her for a walk and she pees outside only 5 minutes later pees again inside the apartment on the carpet. Occasionally she also pees in the crate (overnight). We took away her water bowl so this way he prevent unwanted midnight accidents. Do you think we're going about the potty training protocol correctly? Do beagle puppies tend to pee this frequently? Am I perhaps giving her too much water everyday? I really don't want to use indoor training pads because I've heard that it may take longer to potty train a dog to actually learn to go outside. Plus, I don't want to see pads of pee / poop everyday because to me it's unsanitary.

Training Concern - Teaching The Dog Not To Bite Hands (Teething): So yeah, plainly put Penny is teething. I know that all dogs go through this phase. My concern is that post-teething she may develop a bad habit of biting hands / clothing. Any advice on how to avoid this?

Training Concern - Leash Training: It can be very difficult to walk Penny. Most of the time she acts as a ship anchor than an actual dog... What's the best (or most effective) way to training a beagle to walk with you while on a leash?

As of now, I can't think of any other issues or concerns we're having. I appreciate any feedback on training and on Penny!

· Registered
6,535 Posts
Welcome
first off...Im a puppy survivor..your post is thorough and thoughtful. Come back often for advice and updates.
My dog is also a purebred female and got her at 8 wks. She is now 10.7 yrs old.
Hopefully you have some outdoor space for the dog to go potty..beagles are a little slow in potty training. Good you are using a crate...my dog luuuuvs her crate to this day and naps and sleeps in it without even closing the door anymore. I don't recommend potty pads because it just trains them to potty inside and they rip them up. NOW why is your dog pooping on your carpet? You need to restrict the area your dog has access to..they will also get in to mischief..they cant distinguish your good things from junk. Create some penned area.
Also my pupoy dog chewed up 5 beds before i wised up and got a hard plastic kiddie pool for a bed..i just tossed in towels and toys. Keep in mind to NOT allow your dog off leash outside...ever. They will run away after a scent..every time.
Biting and nipping...
This is not aggression..they do it for a few months so its a matter of saying No,!..no spanking or yelling..it just makes it worse. Also do not play rough house at this stage..it gets them overly excited and the biting begins..and do not sit on the floor..same reason.
What helps is cupping the food in your hands and let the dog eat that way.."never bite the hand that feeds you "... as the saying goes. Give the dog hard chews and toys..not fluffy cute ones...lol
Get a CLICKER at the pet store or on line. Watch YouTube videos on how to use one. Get the training started.the clicker is a great cheap training tool. Clickers can look a little different from mine but the concept is the same. As an example
Keep a leash on your dog in the house so she thinks she's under control..my dog still drags one around today. Use the same words for training so the dog begins to understand. Every time your dog pottys where you want outside..clicker the clicker and praise big time! The sound is the reward..a little treat helps too at this stage.. my dog now will go potty when i say.."go peepee"..no clicker needed anymore.
Heres Cassie in her crate and the clicker.
Body jewelry Material property Rectangle Magenta Jewellery

Dog Comfort Dog supply Carnivore Pet supply

· Super Moderator
5,400 Posts
Cassie always gives the best advice! It's been 20+ years since I had a beagle as a puppy, I have been rescuing adults for many years. I love her name and she is adorable!

When potty training, be consistent and stay on schedule. If she slips a bit, just act likes it's square one and start again. Beags can be a bit stubborn with potty training.

· Registered
6,535 Posts
As for walking on a leash...well ive never have gotten that to go well..cassie walks me!
The best thing i found is called Perfect Pace..bought on line.looks similar to ones in the stores but safer since the connection to the collar doesn't pull the head to the side.
It has a little cord that goes over the nose..its not a muzzle .. just when things were going great w it..i fractured my shoulder so walking a pulling dog no longer worked for me. Fortunately i have a good size outside yard for her. Perhaps you can see it on cassie in the picture

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Grass Companion dog

· Registered
Penny Puppington - Beagle Purebred
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Cassie for your guidance! Your dog is very beautiful and I hope Penny looks like that when she gets older 😊

I got her a harness which appears to make walking her on a leash a little bit easier.

I will provide updates on Penny’s progress. I have a feeling it’s going to be a long road ahead…

· Registered
192 Posts
I read a puppy can only hold it's bladder for 1/2-1 hour per month of age. An 8 week old puppy will need to pee about every 1-2 hrs. Don't expect her to hold it through the night. I set an alarm to take Ally out every 2 hrs so that training was consistent. Also at 1/2 hr after meals and after naps. Biting is puppy play and teething, but she has to be taught not to do it to you; you're not her sibling or chew toy. Just like kids, patient discipline and redirection. An obedience class would be great once she has had all her shots. I had a crazy beagle/lab mix before Ally. At 1 year, she chewed everything in reach (stupid me for not expecting it). I enrolled her in obedience class and the difference was amazing. She was a dumpster diver her whole life, so we had to move/contain all trash cans - she was fond of q-tips. Ally was opposite on leash like Cassie, she walked me, I never mastered her not pulling even with a harness under the chest,,,the nose wanted to go!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts