Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I cant even come here often b/c Im SO busy watching Marbles 24/7..he is in daycare now..so I can get on here.

He is now almost 8 months old...

First...housetraining..It has gotten better by not peeing on the carpet, but we have hard wood floors by the door to go out, and he pees and pees and poops and pees there all the time...like 1 hour after I walk him, and he CAN hold it up to 6 hours we know in the crate...he thinks it is outside just by it changing from carpet to wood...so I catch him in the act, yell "NO" and take him right out..he still does it..I have no idea what to do!!

Second...he chews and chews..and doesnt know "NO" "NO" means nothing to him, I dont want to hit him, so I dont, I tried the water bottle, he just looks like 'HUMMMM" and doesnt get scared..nothing scares this dog,

unlike Snoopy, when I yell at Marbles, Snoopy jumps b/c he knows Im mad...and Marbles doesnt get it, he pulls out the toilet paper, chews on his bed...AND he tore up the NEW bedroom nightstan that we paid $600 for and now we have to get a new one b/c it is not repairable.

AND he keeps doing it...I have Kongs filled, tons of toys, pig ears, raw hide, everything..he loses intrest....I sometimes have to put him in the crate just to check my email.

He is almost 8 months now..my patience is wearing me thin..at least he pees on hard wood and not on carpet, but he pood on the carpet last night at the door, and I JUST pooed him 1 hour before!!

Im not sure what else to do..I dont want to hit him at all...but he is not scared by me raising my voice, yelling "NO" or the water bottle..

do you guys have any other suggestions?

Manda, Snoops and Marbles

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sounds like Marbles has enough confidence to share some with Snoops. Seriously, sounds like Marbles is a typical teenager and the one ally you have is he will grow out of this as he matures. Sounds like your doing everything correct. The only advice I might offer is when you catch him in the act, you could try a nose hug. That is where you grasp is snout, not rough but enough to control him and stay in your best stern voice -"NO." Manda, try working on your stern voice,, sounds like the only one effected by yelling is dear Snoopy. BTW: Marbles has all his adult teeth, Bagel and I can no longer defend him as he no longer has a real need for chewing. Maybe some can offer an additiive to the spray bottle that dogs don't like. I've never had to resort to such to get the Bagel's attention but he was a scared adult rescue (like Snoops) when I got him.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Remind us again how long you have had Marbles?

I know he's 8 months old but have you been working with him long? Sometimes it's not the age/maturity of the dog, but length of time in training/learning your routine, what you allow, etc.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Marley's Mommy:
Remind us again how long you have had Marbles?

I know he's 8 months old but have you been working with him long? Sometimes it's not the age/maturity of the dog, but length of time in training/learning your routine, what you allow, etc.
Good Point! Amanda, When I got Bailey, he was an emotional mess. He would bark and howl A LOT, and also peeeped and pooped whenever and wherever in the house. It took a while before he became more "normal," but patience and love perservered. I am a big fan of positive reinforcment, so maybe try giving him a small treat when he makes a "good potty." Sorry, I really can't offer advice on the chewing, my three were adult rescues.

Now... if someone can help me figure out why Ginger feels that it's necessary to pull the pillows and blankets out of ALL the dog beds all the time... lol....

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by bob:
Sounds like Marbles has enough confidence to share some with Snoops.
That was exactly what I thought when I read the post! If only there was a happy medium between being overconfident and being terrified to death. It does sound like Marbles is an incorrigible teenager - unfortunately I can't give any first-hand advice because we haven't had this experience (Popcorn was 7 months or so when we adopted her but she is firmly in the "terrified to death" camp with Snoops)...

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's definitely one bolshy beagle teenager you've got there! First of all, I wanted to say that in a while you'll be reading messages like this on here and thinking "oh, yeah, Marbles had his monster moments too" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

For the door, could you feasibly block off the wooden floor area with a baby pen? If he can't get there he might 'forget' that was his inside peeing/pooing place.

And on the chewing, I think part of it is finding a way of getting his attention, what worked (or I should say works as Beaglina is far from perfect!) for me was getting a loosely rolled newspaper and hitting whatever was nearby (table, wall, my leg /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif ) really hard so it made lots of noise. Usually it's enough to make her turn and then I can say 'no' more firmly because I'm not yelling.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other ideas, and in the meantime - good luck!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
He sounds just like my Lilly did when she reached adolescence...a chewing, peeing, overly confident nightmare.

It does get better honest. One thing I will say is that yelling all the times makes things worse. Your dog gets so used to you yelling that it no longer has any effect, as you have discovered. It's ok to raise your voice from time to time but if you do it all the time your dog gets accustomed to it and thinks thats just your normal voice. It's the tone that is more important, not how loud you shout it, unless your dog is hard of hearing of course /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Are you cleaning up the accidents well? If you have wood make sure you get right into the cracks and grains of the wood to clean otherwise he can still smell it.

He has his adult teeth but he's at an age when chewing takes on a different reason. Puppies chew because they are in pain from teething but once they get their adult teeth and realise how powerful they are chewing is even more of a natural desire.

Training is the key to most of your problems. Easier said than done I know but a good basic training routine that's done everyday will help keep his brain occupied and will give you more control.

It's such a difficult age, most dogs in shelters end up there at around this age. It's like having a deliquent teenager in the house and like it does with kids it gets better with dogs too.

·
Registered
794 Posts
oh my, been there, done that, too...
buy some bitter apple spray at the pet store. It is perfectly safe. when my dogs would howl and howl after I told them to stop, I would spray in their mouths...they would stop. Now I just have to hold up the bottle and they stop. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

different dogs need different "stop mechanisms"--maybe?? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

It has also helped with their behavior all around, even though I rarely even have to shake the bottle. It's like they know I have it, somewhere... :hysterical:
so they behave.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I could have written this post a few months ago. Duke had the same issues and we still have issues with chewing and being ill-mannered, but much better than it was. I had no time to myself because every moment was spent chasing Duke, scolding Duke, cleaning up after Duke, etc. So I understand your frustration so well.

In regards to the peeing and pooping, Duke had a spot in the front room that was his place, no matter what product I used to clean, he went back there. I blocked off the room and I'm happy to say Duke is now potty trained! So, like somebody else suggested, maybe block off where Marbles goes usually.

Bitter apple does work well and we have it sprayed on everything in the house (though too late on some items....like my china hutch and antique stereo. wah.). I never thought about in the mouth, but that's a great idea!

We took Duke to puppy school and that did make a difference. Now when he's really being a terror, I resort to school training to get him to down and then I scold him without yelling, seems to work better and lets him know I'm in control. There are times I'll even bring the leash out and put it on him, that gets his attention right away and he obeys.

Good luck! I swear, I never thought it would get better and Duke is still a heathen, but at least he's a managable heathen now and I'm sure Marbles will get there too.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
What about exercise? I know that you walk him but for a young energetic beagle, they often need strong structured exercise like running or biking with him. I have learned that with Spencer.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all the different suggestions.

We have had Marbles 2 months now. He went from peeing anywhere in the house, to now peeing on the floor by the door, so there is some improvement.

We may have to get some baby gates to block off the hardwood floors, esp by the door.

I was trying to remember the name of that spray and a few of you mentioned it on here..bitter apple...definatly going to get that!!

Thanks again, and thanks for telling all your encouraging stories...I guess teenagers are like this!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Manda

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Dont give up Amanda. Yelling is not the answer- they can hear very well /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Its the tone of voice that counts. Practise an annoyed/hurt voice and keep at it. Good luck, this is a difficult stage.
Our Susi had been clean for several months and suddenly peed on the kitchen carpet. We just have to take these accidents in our stride, but ours have a different background to marbles.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
consistency will pay off in the end. you are moving in the right direction just hang with it. As far as chewing ...bitter apple works and make sure that you are telling him no but also giving him something that is ok to chew on. A fair trade so to speak.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Pegasus:

I was trying to remember the name of that spray and a few of you mentioned it on here..bitter apple...definatly going to get that!!

Thanks again, and thanks for telling all your encouraging stories...I guess teenagers are like this!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Manda
Hey I wonder if the spray would work for my boys...it was just an idea :rolleye11:

·
Registered
509 Posts
looks like you got some good advice here! Im gona use some of these too, like the bitter apple spray! gotta have that!

Glover has calmed down alot in the last month although his barking and jumping is getting worse!

What I use now and it works great! is when he does a bad thing like chewing furniture I get my can with screws in it and shake it, Glover stops immediately!

yay!

I hope everything gets better soon for you!

x
K

·
Registered
751 Posts
when you first bring the bitter apple home, show him the bottle and spray a bit in his mouth so he knows what it is. Not in his eyes, or nose, right into his mouth or on his lips. He will taste it and shake his head side to side, etc. Now he knows what it is.

Does something wrong like jumping up, etc., spray his mouth. Timing is everything initially. They will then know when that bottle comes out, stop what they are doing. They will probably run, ahahahah. But consistency is it, they will keep trying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts