Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...it seems like for the most part The Martster and Phebalicious are getting along! Friday night, Marty stayed in his crate for the most part to rest. We let Phoebe come up to his crate and say hi, but that is the most interaction they got on Friday.

Saturday, we let them in the kitchen together. Phoebe left her beloved bone unattended and Marty swooped it up. When Phoebe went over to reclaim it, she got a rude awakening. He snapped at her, and it must have been quite an insult because she went to the far corner of the kitchen with her tail between her legs. I went and picked her up to love on her, and she wouldn't even look at me! She got over it a few minutes later after some belly-rubs and after Marty presented her with a different bone to chew on while she was in mommy's lap. They were friends after that. Phoebe is still a little sore about her new position in the pack, but she knows we all love her.

Yesterday morning, we woke up and Marty had ripped out his stitches over night and the wound was fully exposed. we took him to the doggie ER and they used staples to close it back up and gave us a cone for him. The vet hadn't given us one and said he probably wouldn't need it. They will be getting a phone call today. Anyway, we brought him back home and expected Phoebe to poke fun at him for his silly new hat. instead, she walked right up to him and gave him kisses! How sweet! Later they were outside getting some fresh air and the collie next door somehow came over into our yard for the first time ever. She went over to Phoebe to say hello, and Marty jumped right between them and started barking at the collie. He was protecting his little sis! After that, he patrolled the fence for a few minutes while Phoebe finished playing. We figured a little treat was in order after such a busy day, so last night before bed time, they each tried some Frosty Paws for the first time. Oh, did they love it! They definitely take after Mom with the love for ice cream! :biglaugh:

So all in all, not a bad weekend. After the new pecking order was established on Saturday, and our little trip to the ER, things went smoothly. Marty is definitely protective of his little sis, and very tolerant of her energy. Phoebe is just happy to have a buddy her size to play with.

So, we'll see if things are the same after Marty has fully healed and they have some real play time. For now, they are in seperate crates when we aren't around. Marty is in the bigger one that they will share once they become good buds (and Phoebe calms down a little). One day they will rule the house together, but for now we are being cautious.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
That's so sweet. Marty's a protective big brother! Well it's good that they're getting along and hopefully eveything stays that way. We'll keep our fingers and paws crossed that Marty doesn't rip out anymore stitches. When Caesar was neutered we sprayed his incision with Bitter Yuk instead of using the cone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. I just went home on my lunch break and took the babes outside for a potty break. They were all warm and snuggly from napping all morning. I was half tempted to call work and say, "I'm not coming back today!" Marty had a little more energy. He tried to jump up on me, which he hasn't been able to do.

Phoebe has a vet appointment this evening. She is getting her last distemper shot. I'm just excited to see how much she weighs now. Nelson and I always make bets on it. I'm thinking we might get to 19 today! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts