Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Bentley for less than a week, and I've yet to hear an actual single bark out of him. He has three modes: excited/anxious whine, silence, or full out baying.

Do your beagles bark?

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
My first beagle Benny was 6 months old when his first bark came out and he scared himself!! Miss Molly has a bark that would scare anyone away! Tiny beagle with a BIG mouth. She does do the whine/whimper thing too and big long growls.

·
Registered
326 Posts
lol maybe it'll take awhile to see what sets him off for a bark, ours took a few weeks and some for a bark after we adopted him, when he does I think it hurts his ears cause he pauses then shakes his head/ears then does the bark again then ears/head shake again lol

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
oh goodness do our guys bark!
Please, be careful what you wish for

·
Registered
106 Posts
it took months before i heard Milo 'bark', and that was when he came face to face with a cat. although he did bay from time to time before that...Bindi on the other hand barks alot and i am yet to hear her unique beagle bay.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shelby does bark, but usually just when she's playing or thinks there's something/somebody outside. She doesn't howl like most though. I think we've only heard her growl once..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Shiloh is very, very vocal. He howls when he wants attention and kind of talks to us with a wide range of howls.

He has a mean bark/growl when he sees or hears somebody outside.

We have a possum that comes to the deck at night looking for food and when Shiloh sees him, the hair on his back comes up and he growls from his belly. The possum just looks at him and waddles off.

I LOVE all of Shiloh's barks and growls but I really love his Welcome Home Mom howl he does when I get home!

·
Registered
94 Posts
My dog always barks. She only howls when shes startled or scared.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hailey doesn't bark very often but when she does, it sounds awful -- like she's rusty at it! Her usual beagle 'arooooo'ing is pretty to the ears (mine anyhow!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does a wild bear crap in the woods? Of course, but don't be concerned about lack of barking in the puppy stage. Your beag will start barking when he's good and ready or something stimulates him to do it.

Relax...in the future look back fondly on the non-barking days.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'd give anything to have just a bark. Both my boys were taught to bark by my oldest son. It's that first tiny woof that got them hooked, and now, it's bark at nothing or at anything. They'll go outside and just bark to hear themselves bark....no robber will be in our neighborhood with my two barkers and the beagle down the street. It will come, maybe she doesn't have anything to say?

·
Registered
135 Posts
It took mine several months, maybe a year before we heard a sound, we used to laugh when people asked if they are noisy, because they weren't!!! Now @ 3 yrs they think they have to bark at everything that walks past our yard!
One of mine barks like a normal dog, the other does a horrible aroo howl thing and can't bark (or howl, actually)!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rocky barks so loudly at the squirrels, at people on the sidewalk, and at buses, that he rattles the windows! Needless to say, it's hard on the eardrums.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Snoopy hardly ever barks or bays. She is 5 years old so at this point I have given up on getting to hear her on a regular basis. the few times she has barked or bayed was music to my ears.

·
Registered
287 Posts
We don't hear much from Quinn or Grayson at all, unless they're playing with each other or don't want to be left at home in the crate. They are now seven months old (can't believe it!) and generally quiet as can be!

I sure hope that doesn't ever change...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Our beagles have several modes: whining, barking, howling, and baying. LOL But typically they only bay when they're on a scent. The barking and howling happen when they see another dog or they're excited. However, all beagles are different.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally Posted By: Quinn&GraysonWe don't hear much from Quinn or Grayson at all, unless they're playing with each other or don't want to be left at home in the crate. They are now seven months old (can't believe it!) and generally quiet as can be!

I sure hope that doesn't ever change...
Love the new avatar pic!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts