Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about snow. I live in Florida so my beag has never seen snow. I am worried because I am moving to the UK and he freaks out if it cold or wet outside. If the grass is wet, he will stand on the sidewalk to pee on the grass, its funny looking lol. And when it's even at like 60 degrees or a little lower, he goes crazy and barely walks 10 feet outside the house does his business and runs back in... will he get used to the snow?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Both of My dogs hate cold, wet days, *some days before they even step outside they smell the air* lol and refuse to go out because of winds wet etc,,,,have to go out with them.

However they LOVE SNOW, If your still concerned do what others do here, purchase a little warm jacket, even shoes, Mine don't care to wear such and the snow sits fine with them, it's me who has to bring them in from the snow, laughs, I would not worry about it to much.

p.s, may be make it fun and throw a few soft snowballs:)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We know for a fact two of our beags love the snow! I swear they try to eat every inch of it outside!

We do not know about Gino though, we just got him in March and he is 6, don't know what his previous experiences with snow have been, should be fun!

Now rain, well that is a different story, all three of our prima donnas hate going out in the rain!!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
They generally love snow. Of course it will feel funny to your beag and he may need a little sweater until he gets adjusted. Its funny with my Molly, I think before we adopted her, she used to be kept outside in a kennel and didn't mind the rain or snow or cold. But after getting settled with us and living inside, she doesn't like it at all. But she will play in the fresh snow. Molly doesn't like the rain too much but I just carry her out and plop her on the ground and she will go potty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
it's only snowed twice since we've had Phoebe, and the first time she was in heat and didn't care to have her belly cold, but today it has snowed all day (about 4 now). At first I think she thought they were bugs, because she kept trying to snap at them, Since then she's been having a blast in it and she in not a fan of being wet.
It's been an entertaining day.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well we got about 3 inches or so yesterday and Gino LOVED the snow!! He walked a lot faster (which is a good thing b/c he tends to put the brakes on for long periods of time) but was enjoying it as it was falling and on the ground

·
Registered
17 Posts
All beags stand at the door and do a double-take when the see the first snowfall of the season. They'll get used to it.

They always do!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Waiting to see if Hunter likes the snow...don't know as we got him at 1 year old a few months ago. However, he does get super cold outside and shivers a lot. Can anyone recommend a good coat? I have a very long beagle and he doesn like the coats that go over his legs...can't find any that don't do that that fit him! Thanks~!

·
Registered
79 Posts
This will be Starla's first real experience with snow. We got her in February of this year and she was uber tiny when got her (go runts!), so anytime there was snow on the ground when we took her somewhere she was wrapped in a blanket and carried or in a crate. I'm pretty excited to see how she reacts.

·
Registered
959 Posts
When Casie first came to live with us, it was early September, he would always do his business on the sidewalk in the back yard. We didn't think much of it, picked it up and went along with him. BUT first snow, he was still leaving packages on the sidewalk, much to the mailman's dismay. We asked around, and found out that he had been raised (he was 13 months when he came to us)
in a kennel/house situation, where he had a cement run to go outside, not grass. So that's what he did. As the snow got higher and higher, he finally followed Cobi, our 8 year old out into the snow, but is still not to fond of it, even after 2 years...so YES they get used to it, but if that's all they've got, they'll have to go into the wild world and learn to deal with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh man. Nothing is more exciting than watching your Beagle trounce through inches of snow! They love it!

Since my dog used to hunt, he is used to the elements. He doesnt like hard rain though. A gentle downpour is more his style. But snow? Yeah, we would be out in it all day if it werent so cold.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Originally Posted By: KashNRyderCan anyone recommend a good winter coat? Our boys LOVE it outside and I want them to stay warm. Any suggestions?
Beagles can be hard to fit beacuse they tend to have broader chests than other breeds. The best bet is to go somewhere they can try on the coat for size. Also start out with something inexpensive to see if they will wear them. Some will refure to wear anything.
I don't have any specific recomendations, but before you buy one, make sure you test for sizing.

Tucker will wear a coat if it is cold enough, but he is hard to find a good fit as he has a very broad chest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts