Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to ask a bit of advice about "Barney", our newly rehomed 18 month old Beagle.

Ever since we got him (Sunday) we've noticed that he "snores" when he is relaxed or asleep. He also makes the same snoring noise occasionally when he is out for his walks - when he's out walking it almost sounds as if his nose is blocked and he's snoring in an attempt to clear it (as you'd imagine a child to do instead of blowing their nose!). The noise happens whenever he's breathing in (so it's not as if he has something in his nose which he is trying to get rid of by snorting it out!).

Is this a normal thing for a Beagle to do? It certainly doesn't seem to affect his breathing or his sleep. I wondered if there might be an underlying issue which is causing it?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Snoring is pretty rare in dogs with a long snout (smush-faced bulldogs are very prone to it on the other hand.) I'd bring it up to the vet next time you go in. There's probably nothing to be done about it, but I'd make sure the vet is aware.

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Beagles do snore! But when you are on walks he could be having what is called a "reverse sneeze" which is also very common in beagles. Molly gets it badly sometimes so I have to calm her down and try and get her to shake her head. That usually stops it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Murphy "snores" a lot! She'll be looking right at you making the weirdest noises. There are times at night we have to wake her up because her snoring is so loud. When she's out for a walk, she snorts so loud, someone who couldn't see us would swear I was walking a pig. I checked with the vet and he hasn't found anything wrong. She does have a problem with the reverse sneezing though so we use a harness instead of a collar. Her brother doesn't snore or make any of the breathing noises Murphy does, but has a problem as well with the reverse sneezing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, my beagle snores all the time. She also does the reverse sneezing thing a lot. She did it much more when we first rescued her. I think sometimes it's related to stress, as my other dog (not a beagle) only seems to do it when she is stressed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the quote about sounding like a pig, because that's EXACTLY how Barney sounds when he's out and about! I don't think that it's anything to worry about as he seems perfectly happy. I'll mention it to the vet at the end of the month - he's due for a visit at the end of November :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, my beagle snores all the time. She also does the reverse sneezing thing a lot. She did it much more when we first rescued her. I think sometimes it's related to stress, as my other dog (not a beagle) only seems to do it when she is stressed.
I wondered if it could be related to stress. This past week was the first time she has ever been away from us.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Could be grass allergies which my dog has. Make sure your dog also gets a Bordatella vaccine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts