Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snoopy Choked tonight on a rawhide!! He is ok, but thankfully b/c I was lucky enough to meet someone a few weeks ago to tell me what to do!!

We have always been VERY careful with rawhides, in fact, I hate them b/c of all the stories about dogs choking on them.

So we only give them the super thin ones, and watch them at all times. If we are gone, we take them up, we will not let them have one without us being there.

Problem is...What do you DO if your dog is choking?

Snoopy was chewing one, no problem at all...went to sleep at my feet, like normal as im watching TV. Then all of a sudden he started smacking his lips a lot...he does this when he sleeps, so I ignored it..then he started making a weird sound over and over like something was still in his mouth.

I freeked out...gave him water hoping that if something was in there he would 'wash it down' but he didnt...

I was worried...should I take him to the vet if there was something there, what if there is and I cant get it out??? what if I push it into his lungs...then he would die!!!

So, I opened his mouth and saw the small bit of rawhide left at the back of his mouth...Carefully, I sweeped it out...OMG I was SO SO TERRIFIED!! AND Relieved at the same time!!

I want to pass my horrible experience on to all of you so you can think about what would you do IF your dog was choking?

I work with a disaster response team for animals and one of the volunteers is very well know for Ped First Aid

According to her Oprah's dog was choking and someone blindly sweeped into the dog's mouth, but pushed the object into the lungs, and the dog died...Oprah called her out to teach her and her staff Pet First Aid...I just happened to talk to her at a fundraser a few weeks ago (she is part of our rescue group)

...I LOOKED FIRST...saw the object, then sweeped it out...Im not sure what I would have done before she told me this story. I was still Terrified, even though I KNEW what to do!

Here is her link if you are interested in more info:

http://www.sunnydogink.com/wst_page2.html

She is teaching Pet First Aid in Nov here in Cali, and Ill be the first to sign up...it isnt worth loosing our best pals over not knowing what to do...It is very different than human first aid!!

I will never use rawhide again!!! It was toooo close, I cannot tell you how freekin scared I was...I was panicking....I NEVER want to experience that again..God forbid that it was further down, there is no way to get him to a vet in time b/f brain damage...

Snoopy is happy and at my feet right now..Im relieved but my life has changed b/c of this!!

Amanda, Snoopy, Marbles

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
OH MAN!!!!

That sounds like a nightmare! Thank God that you knew what to do in a crunch time like this.

I stopped using the rawhide sticks years ago because the dogs would get to a point where they were soft enough to swallow but too long to swallow. My dogs here have never had those.

I do give them the rawhide cut into squares. What kind was Snoopy chewing?

Yodel is so orally fixated that if he were human, I'm sure he would be a smoker. When we put him in bed at night (our bed) we put him down with a rawhide. Even if he doesn't chew it, it soothes him to fall asleep with one right by him.

We've tried greenies and such but Yodel hides them and buries them.

So glad that Snoopy is alright and I think I'll search out a first aid course for dogs around here. Thanks.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Thank goodness your report had a happy ending. I have warned about rawhides for years, ever since a friends Basenji choked to death on one.
My fear this summer is that Snoopy or Susi might swallow a wasp, there are thousands of them and Snoopy loves eating the apples that fall. What is one supposed to do if the dog's throat swells up from a sting?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thank god Snoopy is okay!

I don't like rawhides and don't even buy them for Chloe. There are enough other yummy treats for them to play with and chew on!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Angela,

If swallowing is wasp is a real threat, why not talk to the vet about giving you an epi pen to keep handy in that event. That's what they would do for people.

Oral antihistamines like Benadryl will be no good in the event of a swollen throat.

Keep me posted on if you talk to the vet. What would he suggest.

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thank goodness you were level-headed enough to avoid a disaster! I wonder if you can do a Heimlich maneuver with a dog.
I carry an epi-pen myself as I am deathly allergic to bees, wasps and hornets. There is an Epi Pen Jr. for children but it is for children who weigh between 33 and 66 lbs. Best bet is to check with your vet.

·
Registered
865 Posts
what is a good alternative to rawhides? Both of mine are chewers, big time and LOVE rawhides, but they make me so nervous.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I give rubber toys and nylabones. Both under supervision. The only toys I leave out for Chloe when I'm not home are plush squeekers and rubber balls.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh Manda! How scary! It's great that you knew what to do. I have one huge rawhide bone that I only give to Jersey when I can be in the room with her. The minute it gets soft I pick it up and put it away. I'm glad that Snoopy is OK and that this story has a happy ending. I would love to learn some first aid for dogs.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, both Ron and I have agreed to not use them anymore. Ive never heard of the square ones. The ones we used were super thin like a pencil and long...

Im really suprised so many people dont use them!

After everything had settled down and I calmed down, the first thing I thought of was to get on here and warn everyone. Even though I dont post often, I think of this community alot and do more reading than posting nowdays!!

In the event of a bee sting, I agree with the others, really an epi pin is life saving until you can get to the vet..will buy some time!

I guess instead of the rawhides, they really LOVE pig ears(but fattening) and Nylabones.

Oh, and yeah, you can do the heimlech maneuver, but I think it is different in dogs...Im going to take the first aid class in November!! Maybe I can come back on here and give some tips that I learn.

Manda, Snoopy, Marbles

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I stopped by PetCo this afternoon and saw a flyer in their window for an on-line first aid class. If you can't get out of the house to take one, here is the link for the PetCo course:

PetCo On-Line First Aid Course

I think a hands-on course with a live instructor is preferable but this might be an option for some folks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts