Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, overall they are doing ok...happy, wonderful beagles..but some things have been keeping us on our toes

Marbles- He is driving me CRAZY...ok, finally house trained, that is GREAT. But he still chews everything!!...jumps on the coffee table, the side tables...Here is the worst thing.....
....we bought them a really nice bed for the living room, cost $100....Marbles tore it up, inside out!!

so now he is older, just turned a year... we got another one..and he keeps wanting to chew it too...I yell marbles I yell NO and he doesnt stop...I even squirt him with a water bottle....he stops, shakes, then goes back at it!!

Poor Snoopy just wants to sleep in it and Marbles is going crazy!!! I spend all my free time yelling at him...it isnt working..

So why not treats or Kong??...well Marbs is 32 lbs and a bit chubby, so we are trying to not give him so many treats...I have pig ears, toys like crazy, he chews a toy for an hour, gets the squeaker out that I take away immediately, gets bored, then chews other things....I have now replaced 4 laptop wires!!

Other than that, he is great..hehe

I heard Marbles howel for the first time at the dog park the other day...it was awesome!!! He was howling with a red somthing **** hound....but the daycare says he howels all the time..hehe...that was the first I heard

Snoopy
Poor thing had diarrhea today, and we had to leave them 5 hours in the house, and he poood in 3 places...and peed in 2....he NEVER pees in the house...btw Marbles is still in the crate as you can see why above!!

My thought is that he really needed to poo, and paced around, panting (we know he has diarrhea and is trying to hold it back when he does this)...and had to poo b/c he couldnt help it...poor thing probably pooed then peed b/c he was so scared we would be mad...pee spots in 2 places

Of course I didnt yell at him at all....I know he felt bad, and it wasnt his faut....but I feel so bad just imagining him trying to hold it and he couldnt then peeing b/c he was scarred we would be mad....he has a bladder of steal..we used to keep him 12 hours w/o peeing when we were residents, so we know he can hold it, so im sure the pee is out of fear....how freekin sad!!!!

I just got down on the floor and spent an hour cleaning it all up. No diarrhea tonight, he will be left alone 2 hours tomorrow, at least he goes by the fireplace and NOT our bed..hehe

Manda, Snoopy, Marbs

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ah your babies sound fine. Poor old Snoopy, but you are a good mum and didnt get mad because he couldnt help it. Marbles is overweight? Then pigs ears are the worst as they are packed with fat.

It is so good to hear that both Marbles and Snoopy have settled in so well. Two very lucky beagles.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I can comiserate with you! Lucky is a chewer and still house training.

I have been using rawhides. Are those o.k. for dieting dogs??? Toby is on a diet, but of course he won't allow for Lucky to get a rawhide w/o him getting one, too!

Lucky mostly goes for my son's toys. While annoying, it beats the heck out of going after my furniture, etc.!

Marbles, you straighten up!! Hang in there Snoopy, it will get better!!! LOL!!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Poor Snoopy. I hope he's better soon.

Daisy is also all over the furniture. It drives me mad. She knows she isn't supposed to because she'll get up there and look at me. If I don't start to come toward her she'll go about her business pulling whatever it was she was after down.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Manda, when Chloe gets excited, she walks over the furniture and jumps all over... but all in all, she is pretty good.

I do feel for you and hope Marbles calms down soon.... it will happen though.

Poor Snoopy, extra belly rubs for him. Maybe lay off the rawhide for a day or so with him

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have resigned myself to the fact that when I have a young beagle here, they're going to chew - and chew - and chew! And Climb - and get into things - and jump up on the counters - and table surf when I'm not home - which is why the youngsters are crated when I'm gone.
By the way, plain canned pumpkin is good for the poops. I need to get some - one of mine has had poops for a couple of days - and I'm out of my old standby. Not the pumpkin pie mix, just the plain canned pumpkin.
Marbles WILL outgrow this - but it may take a while. My Angel was a year in April, and she's still chewing up everything she can get in her mouth - figure another 6 months or so she'll be a good dog! I have a friend in my beagle group who had never had a beagle before and adopted a 9 month old beagle (her first beagle) from a shelter - he'd been in 3 homes by the time he was 9 months old - and had many issues - probably had been abused, probably locked in a basement - and went crazy when crated. She kept saying when will he stop destroying everything? We kept telling her it WOULD happen - usually by about 18-24 months. She was determined that her home would be his forever home - she took him to obedience classes - then advanced obedience classes, and finally he became a certified therapy dog. He still has some issues - but he is a good dog and did eventually outgrow the destructive behaviour. I have 9 beagles here - 4 were born here, 3 were adopted as puppies, and a couple of older rescues - I can't even tell you the things that have been chewed up - and, in fact, are still being chewed up. I'm surprised any of them have survived, considering the things they've eaten (or at least chewed up) - remotes, computer cables, telephones, books, shoes, underwear, sheets, blankets, quilts, furniture, cabinet doors, cds, you name it, I've probably lost at least one of them. Right now the favorite chew thing is anything made of plastic - the whelping boxes (hard plastic), wastebaskets, even my clothes hamper. It's not even just the puppies - Joe, and Jack, both 2 1/2, Bella (2), Angel (1), and their sire, Tanna, who is almost 6, all find anything made of plastic YUMMY. I can't put EVERYTHING on top of the entertainment center where they can't reach it
. It will get better (I keep telling myself that anyway).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.