Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By reading a German Forum I discovered that the two beagles that Snoopy was held with, have been set free and adopted by fantastic people. Feivel, Snoopies brother and Spike, were adopted last week and so ends an era of research beagles at a veterinary university in Munich.
For us, even more amazing, is that we have now the facts about poor Snoopy. We know where he was born, in a mass preduction kennels, churning out beagles for research, but alas the bad news is that we were told his wrong age. Yes, he was born in April but not on the 1st but the 27th, and not in 2001 but in 2000. This means Snoopy is a year older than we thought, and is now 8. Poor old lad.

Feivel and Spikes owners (veternary students) are coming to visit us soon, they want the 3 beagle boys to stay in contact. Both these women already have female rescue beagles, so the boys should be happy.
We were sad to find Snoopy older than we thought, but it doesnt really matter, we hope he still has many years to live.
All three have heart problems, but we have been assured that most dogs of their age have something similar. It shouldnt shorten their lives.
So this has been an exciting few days.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
How wonderful! That's great that they will get to visit each other, shows that Feivel and Spike found a great home!

It's so sad that they use these social little dogs as lab rats. Breaks my heart.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
That is great news /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
That is wonderful news, Angela!

So, as I understand it, Fieval and Spike will be the last beagles used in the school? Is the breeding business still functioning?

Snoopy being a year older than you thought, it's a jolt isn't it? Glad it's only one year, though.

So great that Snoopy will meet the others. You know what I'm going to say..... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pic.gif Please!!!

~Denise

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, Denise, I promise when we meet up with Spike and Feivel to take photos. Wont be for 3 weeks though as Spikes new owner lives a long way away. It is unclear whether or not research will stop at the university, I doubt it. Where Susi came from they are refusing to let any beagles free at present, this means unwanted beagles are destroyed. New laws are being discussed in the EU but its a slow process.
At the moment we are pleased that Spike and Feivel are safe it is just too hard to think of all those other beagles.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Such good news that two more beagles are free and have good homes. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif It's sad to think of their lives while in research. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hooray for Spike and Feivel - it sounds like they will have great homes. Every time I think of the horrors that Susi and Snoopy had to endure prior the only consolation I can get is that knowing that they now have a loving home and the freedom to be beagles. I would love it if you can convince Spike and Feivel’s rescuers to join Beagle World and give us direct updates on the progress.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/toofunny.gifGreat news, can't wait to see pic of this happy reunion.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I really happy that those two little ones are free (at last), but I was having a really hard time reading that the U is still running experiments on beagles.... it's just wrong! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
A bitter sweet day...wonderful news that two more beagles have been freed and are with owners that love them and will take wonderful care of them. Sad, that Snoopy spent a year longer than originally thought in research.

The only thing you can do is look forward, and not back...give them an extra squeeze and show them everyday you love them. I know that the upcoming visits will be wonderful /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif you'll have to take some pictures /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thank goodness that Feivel and Spike have been freed! What a reunion that is going to be. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif I know it is sad to think that Snoopy endured more time that you thought in that horrible place but try to just focus on the good news!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It's great to hear that Feivel and Spike are free! It's hard to hear that there are still places experimenting on our precious Beagles, but at least we know that the ones at that University have been saved. Snoopy and Susi and Feivel and Spike all have wonderful lives now...that's what is most important.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, we are very pleased to hear the boys are out and can spend the rest of their lives in freedom.
Bob, I shall ask them to join beagle world, but that will depend whether they speak English or not. If you speak German you can follow things on the German Forum (beaglefriends.de) under the section Laborbeagle. Feivel's owner has the name beaglechaos and Spike's: s.irmi. I am there as Angela. Trouble is you probably have to join to be able to read some of it.

I shall keep you up to date here, also with photos.
I have looked up the breeding kennels (in Paderborn Germany) and see there have been loads of protests from animal-rights people, wanting to get it closed down. Alas in Germany and worldwide beagles are used in their thousands. just about any product that has clinically tested on it means that animals have suffered in its production. One can protest directly to these firms and boycott their products. Otherwise we should be grateful for every beagle (and other animal) that is released.

Feivel and Snoopy have their birthdays on the 27th of this month, we hope to meet up for that. Of course with Susi, Spike and other beagles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts