Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dogs were on Nutro Pro Ultra from the time we got them up until a couple of months ago. The last allegations of investigations into the company's food safety (even though they turned out to be false) were the last straw for my boyfriend and me - enough, there are many good dog food companies out there not so frequently in the food safety hot seat. Our beagles were unexcited about eating the stuff, anyway.

Bones was doing just fine on it, but Spock had always had symptoms of allergies such as sniffling and sneezing, rubbing his face on furniture after he'd eaten, licking his paw, scratching his ears, etc. It took a really long time for me to recognize these allergic reaction symptoms for what they were. Once we knew, we wanted to change their food, but my boyfriend and I were really close to qualifying for a free bag of dog food at our local pet store (buy 10, get one free, and at ~$50 a pop, it was tempting to just wait it out and assuage his symptoms). Eventually, though, the food safety issue prompted us to change to a different dog food, and we took this opportunity to put the dogs on a more allergy sensitive formula.

The dog food is stored in a large plastic tub. The last time the dogs needed food, we bought a bag of Bil-Jac special formula and mixed the remainder of the Nutro in that tub with it for an easier transition. I thought there wasn't much of the Nutro left, but at least some has been mixed in with the Bil-Jac all this time.

We got down to the very bottom of the tub again last week, and a great deal of the round Nutro food had sunk to the bottom, falling between the narrow, tubular Bil-Jac pieces, with the result that there was a lot more Nutro left in this last week's meals than usual.

With exposure to so much more of the food he was evidently allergic to, poor Spocky has again started to sneeze, have that always-wet nose, scratch his ears, and lick his paw obsessively. My poor buddy!

We dumped out the rest of the food (not much was left) and refilled the plastic container with only Bil-Jac. I'm hoping that Spock's allergies clear up again in the next couple of weeks. I hate for him to be constantly uncomfortable like that, plus I nearly forgot about the unpleasant surprise of a full-on beagle sneeze in my face mid-cuddle.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I just looked up Bil-Jac online, as I'd never heard of it before. It seems like a pretty good dog food, however, I did notcie that corn was right up there in the first few ingredients listed. Corn is a known allegen to dogs, so you might want to keep an eye on them to make sure they're not allergic to that also.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I was feeding Nutro's Natural Choice but like you, with all the negative stuff about Nutro - some true and some false - I finally made the switch to Avoderm. My sis also did this with her Westies - one of them has severe allergy problems with hair loss - with medicated shampoo and the change in food, her hair is coming bak.

My two love the stuff - never did seem to have trouble with allergies. DDoes not have corn in it - some people are turned off by the avodado in it but that is in oil and meal so it is perfectly safe and good for their coats.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Good luck Eve, Hope the new food works. We took ours off of Nutro also and put them Avoderm and they do well on it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spock's symptoms were almost gone when they were on the Bil-Jac (even though there was some Nutro mixed in). I read up on the ingredients as well, also read the company's website claim that the way they prepare the food tamps down allergic reactions (and went yeah right), but it seemed to work out great for him. Hopefully we'll know in a few weeks whether this is the food we'll be keeping them on for a while. I may try to find a store that sells Avoderm and get a small bag, see how the doggies like it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wow. So glad I popped onto this thread. We didn't have a problem with the puppies with the first bag of Nutro. However, we just opened the new bag, and Grayson has what appears to be allergies, now.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm glad that you found the problem to Spock's itching. Amber had allergies when she was younger. She kept scratching so much that she went bald on her butt (she would stick her hind quarters under the bed frame and rub). When I took her to the vet for it, the first thing she had me do was switch her food. We put her on Innova and never had another problem.

Stephanie...I suggest finding the highest quality food you can afford. There is a link at the top of this page (third thread down) about dog food. You want the top ingredients to be meats.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks Jen! We had heard good things about Nutro, so I'm pretty surprised that it's so bad. I hope that's the only problem with Grayson. Quinn doesn't seem to have much of a reaction...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad my dog's experience can help in some small way
Nutro was highly recommended to us at our local pet store two years ago when we first brought Spock home, but I just could not pass along that recommendation today in good conscience.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Interesting. We've had Murphy on Nutro with no noticeable problems, but I'll be keeping an eye out for any signs of allergies.

We'll be starting to move him over to adult dog food in the next couple months and I might consider Bil-Jac or Blue Buffalo.

It's always good to know other peoples experience with a product-I appreciate the information!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Eve, you can find Avoderm at Petsmart or PetCo. I have a friend who took his boston terrier off of Nutro after I mentioned the problems with it and he said his dog was throwing up every morning and now that he is on Blue Buffalo he is not doing it anymore. I'm not in any way saying it WAS from the Nutro but if the symptoms stop when you change the food you have to wonder

·
Registered
287 Posts
We just bought some Avoderm for the puppies yesterday. Petco generously did an exchange (as I'm sure this is pretty common), and we were told that Avoderm is currently offering a free small bag of food with any bigger bag.

It seems, though, that most of what Petco carries is not on the high-end scale of dog food. Apparently, Natural Balance ranks better than Avoderm, but we went with Avoderm instead because I remember reading about it on here....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts