Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mizu my 6 month old beagle started to have this very nasty smell from his behind. I've never smelled it before. I wipe his behind every time he goes number 2. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
388 Posts
My previous Beagle, Bailey used to have really smelly anal glands that I had to express myself Once a week myself in the tub, then I'd wash her behind.

That solved her foul smell.

Generally the anal glands express themselves when they poop. Nice firm poop especially makes for easier "expession" of the glands I guess... regardless, she had stinky butt.

Most groomers do this as a part of their cleaning process... I saw how to do it on one of the "Dirty Jobs" episodes way back in the day when I had Bailey & tried it myself... it really wasn't that big of a deal. Held her tail up. Put my thumb and finger on either side of her anus and squeeze forward and *squit* /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif :freak: it all came out. Icky... but she wasn't ever stinky :thumbup:

--------------------
~ Louri ~ Mommy to Quads (we'll be 4 years old in 4 months)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Beau had MAJOR issues with his anal glands, we were about to have them removed but as long as I express them once a month hes good. Suzy will lose hers if we pick her up too quick or scare her. I didnt know they existed until a year ago, icky situation.... :pukey:

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
If you don't know how to express anal glands ask the vet to show you how to do it. If you're not sure what you're doing it can be quite an uncomfortable and gross experience for both you and the beagle :pukey:

Is he scooting his butt on the carpet? That's one way they try to help themselves.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Is it a horrible dead fishy smell? Could be his anal glands. We have our vet express their anal glands every few months. I don't know how to do it and do not want to know. It doesn't hurt them, they don't like it much, but it doesn't hurt them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
When I did it myself, she never showed any discomfort & I didn't find it difficult to do & once I found the right spot, it was easy to to do real quick each time and to make it a quick job and made it no big deal.

--------------------
~ Louri ~ Mommy to Quads (we'll be 4 years old in 4 months)

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
There is info on the net regarding anal glands, but my best teacher was my vet.

Maggie has anal gland problems, and I took her to be emptied several times at the vet before I felt competent to do it myself. Due to the large amount of nerve endings around the anus, it can be very uncomfortable to milk the glands. Maggie hates it, so I learned to do it at home so she wouldn't always associate the vet with pain (which she already does /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif )

It is very smelly also, so don't feel bad if you're not comfortable doing it yourself right away. I do it in the bathtub, then wash her booty immediately. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts