Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elizabeth has been with us for about a week now. I don't think the little girl had ever had a bath in her life before we met her. She was really smelly, but had just been spayed, so we washed her as best we could without getting her incision too wet. I gave her a "real" bath a couple of days ago. She smells better, but not great. The vet said there were no problems with her ears, teeth, or anal glands. I don't want to bathe her too much, as her skin seems to dry easily. I just used moisturizing dog shampoo. Do the deodorizing shampoos work, or is there something else I should try?

·
Registered
807 Posts
You might want to try brushing her teeth too with doggie toothpaste. It is a good habit to teach them early. I would think if the anal glands are the problem, she would be scooting or licking. We like the oatmeal dog shampoo too but if you need to bathe frequently until you get the smell under control, your vet can give you a special shampoo for dry skin. Any chance there is a skin infection? Good luck and keep us posted. Julie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mom stopped by the vet's office today, and he gave her a shampoo that he thinks will do the trick. He said she is a purebred beagle, which is what we all thought anyway. She got some drops for her ears. She weighed 17 pounds and needs to put on a little weight. Mom said she was a very good girl! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Some beagles have a hound smell, which can take some getting used to. Dave says it is a bit like biscuits and he loves it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Li'l Girl can get an odor at times, and I've found that the Hartz 2 in 1 Flea and tick collar with deodorant helps a lot. I don't depend on it to control fleas, but the deodorant is pleasant smelling. :thumbup: The collar is red here, but might come in other colors in other areas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts