Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Beagle world, appreciate your time :)

Not sure how to describe our beagles smell, could very well just be a strong case of the hound scent. The beagle basically smells all the time, even after a bath you can smell his scent.

Not sure if I am familiar with the gland smell or if that is applicable to this dog - any descriptions that would be helpful? Thx

This particular 5 yr old neutered male gets baths about every other week. The lady doesnt not notice the smell most of the time. I, on the other hand, really find the smell to be offensive

After a walk, he smells horrific. Holding your breathe in necessary within a 10' radius

Any resources or strategies out there in regards to cleaning and exercising? Ideally this dog would benefit from a backyard, but he resides in an apartment. Washing him after each walk doesnt sound like the best answer. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
220 Posts
one of mine is smelly, the other is not. the one that is smelly also has problems with food allergies and itching more frequently. my wife says he smells like burned frito's corn chips.
he seems to do better on a grain free diet(wellness core) and with less frequent bathing.
not sure which gland you speak of but anal glands smell more fishy.
hope you can solve your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the smell varies greatly from dog to dog? Interesting. Nice analogy, lol. Only way I can describe the smell is a rank doggie body oder

The cat is on the ancestral diet, should probably follow suit with the beagle :) Wonder if the grain makes him any more itchy - the dog does seem to scratch and itch a lot

·
Registered
890 Posts
Some people only wash their beagle if they actually get dirty by rolling in something. We tend to be that way but my wife has a sensitive nose so she wants them washed more often. She has been bugging me to give Tucker a bath for a month now. I think he smells fine.
I have heard many people say their beagle smells like frito's. I tend to agree.
For your smell, It might be the anal gland. You might want to have it expressed. Some people do it themselves, but I think most would rather pay to have it done as it stiks so bad and it can be tricky. A good groomer can do it, or the vet, but the vet will cost more.
Food could have something to do with it too. A lot of beagles do have food alergies and grain is usually the culprit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tucker. The dog has been dragging his ass on the carpet lately. Does sound like his anal glands could use expressing. Learned something new for sure :smokin:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Scooting is a sign that they do. I would get his anal glands expressed. Of course, he could have an ichy butt.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Sounds like anal glad smell to me. Once you smell it, you don't forget it!! Its even worse if there is an infection involved.

As for doggie smell, Molly doesn't really smell bad. I can tell when she needs a bath or if she rolled in something, but other than that she smells fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pet Head Deodorizing shampoo works wonders! It's in a pink bottle. It's like the human brand Bed Head. My girls smelled great for days! She actually smelled better than me. haha

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
CORN CHIPS!! LOL My hubby and I say they smell like this all the time, hysterical! :p

But yes, it does sound like maybe the anal glands need to be expressed/checked out. That smell on the other hand is quite repulsive. I describe that as a metallic fishy smell:faint:

·
Registered
959 Posts
Cobi was smelly for awhile, and sure enough (thanks Tuck) it was an anal gland that was plugged and has to be expelled. We had to take care of that every week for about 2 months and then the odor disappeared. No reason why, no answers, just happened.

The boys get a bath every other month, and seem to do well with that. We had been giving them one every month, but the dry air in the winter and last summer, seemed to promoted really dry skin....so we went to every other month. Got some great smelling shampoo for them, smells like lillies and they think it's an okay thing, no snorting in the bath tub :eek:)......

·
Registered
326 Posts
I learned such on this site when Charlie had the oddest smell going on, these people here have teached me a lot................................and sure enough glands needing cleaning, his butt smells good now *or should say all of him* now if we can just work out the sneaky toots haha

·
Registered
325 Posts
When I rescued Chloe last summer, she was one stinky Beagle. Turns out she had a super deep ear infection, which are smelly. She also had a type of "yeast infection" in all four of her feet and all the nail beds - also very stinky. And her digestive system was poor from being fed poorly, so she had stinky breath, too. Smelly Beagle!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts