Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beasley has a small patch on her left side where there is no hair. The vet tested her for Mange, which came back negative. Originally, we thought she had scraped her side against the coffee table (which still might be the case), but after almost a month, it doesn't appear to have gotten any better.

Any suggestions to help the hair grow back? How long should it normally take for hair to grow? Or are there any other skin conditions we should be testing for?

Here's the best picture I could grab this morning, sorry about it being so blurry.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It depends how old the beagle is and when its lost. A normal beagle can take up to a year to grow fur back, but figure around 4-6 months.

Murphy has a bare spot that may never grow back due to his meds.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
That's strange... has the vet come up with any other ideas? :conf6:
We have an appointment this weekend for some more shots, so I will ask him while we are there.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Two other thoughts - is there a bump or lump there that Beasley may be selectively scratching or possibly some scar tissue where the hair has trouble growing. Austin is my follicle challenged dog. He has to wear a collar that has no folds or rough, exposed edges or he rubs the hair off his throat. He has a scar on his leg (tumor removal) that the hair never will grow in correctly or all the way and of course what area does he want to scratch the most! Right!! I will be most curious to see what you Vet says.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by The Dean:
Beasley has a small patch on her left side where there is no hair. The vet tested her for Mange, which came back negative. Originally, we thought she had scraped her side against the coffee table (which still might be the case), but after almost a month, it doesn't appear to have gotten any better.

Any suggestions to help the hair grow back? How long should it normally take for hair to grow? Or are there any other skin conditions we should be testing for?

Here's the best picture I could grab this morning, sorry about it being so blurry.

Dean does Beasley scratch at this spot often ? If he does it may be a "hot spot" caused by weather. Feel the spot . Most hot spots will be warm to the touch. In my Shiloh's case I use a salve called "Red Horse Mange" that is also for hot spots or sometimes mites(lice)will cause this too. Some puppies are born with the eggs of mites on their skin. If this is problem use same med you would use on humans but only 2-3 times.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:Dean does Beasley scratch at this spot often ? If he does it may be a "hot spot" caused by weather. Feel the spot . Most hot spots will be warm to the touch. In my Shiloh's case I use a salve called "Red Horse Mange" that is also for hot spots or sometimes mites(lice)will cause this too. Some puppies are born with the eggs of mites on their skin. If this is problem use same med you would use on humans but only 2-3 times.
She doesn't scratch at it at all...I've been keeping a close eye on that just in case, but she seems to not notice the spot is there.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie had a spot like that in almost the same place. The vet tested her for some kind of mite. She tested negative for that but he said if she had only a small number of the mites it might not show up in the scraping he took. The mites normally live in the hair folicle and don't cause a problem but sometimes in puppies if their immune system is down the mites multiply and cause the folicle to rupture resulting in hair loss. Since it was only a small patch, my vet said we will just watch it. Maggie's spot eventually went away. It took a long time for the hair to grow back and when it did that hair was a lighter color. Maggie didn't have any itching or symptoms other than a patch of missing hair.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I currently have a little pup 6 months old that is still showing no hair around where one of the dewclaws were originally. (Perhaps the breeder removed the dewclaws herself and butchered it a little.) My vet tells me that the first time Tate has a winter coat come in that the hair will grow back. For some reason it is the thick winter coat that helps it cover over. I hope that the vet is correct. Now the only problem I see for you however, is that you live in Florida where there really isn't a winter. Do the subtle weather changes there still allow for a dog to obtain a winter coat and shed in the spring? Hopefully your little one will show no signs of the hair loss soon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update from the Vet on saturday.

He said that he isn't concerned with Beasley's patch of hair, he said it looks more like a scratch than anything. As a lot of you have said, sometimes it takes time for hair to grow back...

He also noticed that the top of her head looked a little patchy, and was about to research a little further when Beasley took off and ran headfirst into the wall...He just looked at us and said "oh...I guess that explains that." Mrs. Beasley is a little bit clumsy when she goes running....hahaha

·
Registered
751 Posts
I took Marley to the Vet for a patch of hair starting to come out over his eye. She did a scrape nd it turned out to be demodex. He is being treated with medicated baths and dips. He gets two more and hopefully it will then be gone. She said the patch will grow back,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts