Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Erin, I can SOOOOO relate. Our little town has a 24/7 noise ordinance. My dogs are confined to the house except for VERY brief periods because I have neighbors who will call the police if any dog in town barks. Yes, my dogs DO bark - but, like you, I bring them in as soon as they start. The ONLY time it takes a few minutes to get them inside is IF one of the neighborhood dogs OR cats is running loose - or, in the case of the cats (next door has a female that breeds every time she comes in heat - and they keep most of the kittens OUTSIDE), one of the cats comes inside my FENCED yard! Then I have trouble getting them inside and it'll take me a couple of minutes. I am so frustrated. I don't let them out EARLY, and they go out for the last time at night about 7:30. There is a BIG dog on another street that is TIED up and barks continuously all day, but no one seems to call on that! We don't have an animal control officer here, so people call the local police. I have to admit when I come home from work (after the dogs have been alone in the house all day), they DO greet me - and when I let them out, they always bark - for about 30 seconds - until they start investigating the yard for intruders. I don't see that barking for 30 seconds in the middle of the day is a BIG PROBLEM - if it was 2:30 am, sure, but not at 2:30 PM. Anyway, I can sympathize! I have never called the police on the neighbors who's little dog runs loose all the time, or who's cats yowl outside MY window at 4 am, or when their kids climb on my garage roof, or yell outside my window at 9 pm when I have to get up at 4:30, need I go on? I try to be considerate, but guess it's a one way street!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It was funny one time - I saw a police car drive up, and knew it was about the dogs - even tho they hadn't been outside barking. I put them all upstairs so I could open the door when he rang - nobody made a SOUND. They were all quiet as little mice - the young man and I stood outside and chatted for about 15 minutes - and the dogs were quiet the entire time. He was SOOOO impressed. But he happened to be a dog lover and understands that DOGS will bark sometimes. Not all are as understanding. I DO not let them bark incessently - heck I don't like to hear it either, but sometimes I can't get upstairs and outside to bring them in in 30 seconds! I'm 69 years old, have arthritis in my back and can't move as quickly as I did a few years ago, I live in a 3 story house with LOTS of stairs, and as soon as I hear them I go get them as soon as possible. Haven't had one of those visits for quite a while - but then I DO try to be considerate of the neighbors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts