Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question.
The wife and i are always under the impression that dogs grow like there owners (Well Maisie has the same wee belly that i am carrying from over indulging and that the wife could sleep for a week). That in mind we think Maisie is a rather lazy dog as she sleeps rather alot. Just wandered what was maybe some posters opinion on this topic. Maisie usually falls asleep at around 22:00hrs most nights. She would probably sleep thro until 09:00. After any exercise Maisie will usually have a wee safety nap. But more often than not just bimble/playing about the house or at her grandma's and then have the odd snooze here and there.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe is not fat, to say the least. She is very slim.... most people wo't believe she is a full Beagle because of it - but she just won't put on excess weight..... which you can't say about her mommy, who has to watch her weight.

She sleeps when she's not eating or playing.... At night she sleeps through with no problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've always said that I wanted a nice calm dog (our last was a maniac) but when we adopted Stanley, holy cow! I thought something was wrong with him! He loooooves to nap. He has his occational hypercharged times but he's horizontal more than vertical. As someone put it, it's a beagle thing. Food and sleep, that's his main goal.
We changed his routine by getting him on a schedule. He eats at the same time everyday, (he's eating the diet formula food now but he doesn't know it, sshhhh), he get out of bed at the same time, goes to bed at the same time, etc. It's really helped him. He seems more content and secure now, no surprises.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two sleep when they are not out on walks, chasing things in the garden or eating. Their sleep capacity is amazing.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Tucker's normal schedule is:
6 AM Get up and eat breakfast
6:15 AM Snooze
12 PM Get up and bother Mom
Afternoon Snooze but always ready for walks or food.
4:30 PM Dinner
5:00 PM After dinner treat
Evening Walks, Dog Park, and snooze
9:00 PM Sleep in living room
10:30 PM Go to bedroom to sleep because the rest of the pack (Mom and Dad) are sleeping in there.

If he is not actively doing anything or demanding food, he either sleeps or snoozes, usually about 16 hours a day.

What a Life!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke and Violet are energizer beagles. Though they do snooze a lot through the day when we're at work, once we're home, it's on. Beaglemania is what I call it and that means they play, run, play, run, play! I'd say between 5:00-9:00, they are mostly non-stop.

Weekends are a different story because they are more active during the daytime, they aren't as bad at night. Though they still have a ton of energy. I think Violet is even more energetic than Duke!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2 are big sleepers as well. Sweetie does sleep more than Jack but they are only 3-4. Sweetie sleeps from 10 at night until 10 the next morning, then all afternoon as well...

·
Registered
959 Posts
During Cobi's latest exam, our vet told us that we Americans feed out pups to death, and beagles can be the worst. We give them treats for this and that activity, and then exercise them very little, kind of like their owners. SO, he suggested the baby carrots, green beans and apples cut up small for treats rather than the commercial ones, unless you make your own and know what's in them. Weight control experts will tell you that people who own dogs seem to get more exercise...but you know for that, you have to put the leash on, the shoes on the people person, and go out and walk.

As for sleep, yep, Cobi is the same, eat, sleep, pee, poop and then sleep and bark some more. That's about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts