Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for the past week my husband has been in Tx for work and the girls have decided that they have a queen size dog bed that they let me share with them. Maggie is my lap dog, so she is the one who is the cuddler at night. If I move she gets up and has to rearrange so she is either on top of me or leaning right up against me. Last night Jasmine decided she was going to sleep with one of my sons, so it was just me and Maggie in bed. When I woke this morning, my husbands side had not been touched and of course I was hanging on for dear life to the edge. Also guess sho had most of the pillow.....(and it wasn't me)

The other night I awoke to Jasmine staring down at me pawing at the covers. I guess she got cold and wanted under them. What a life these girls have. I want to come back as them in my next life.

Well a few more nights and then hubby will be back.... I'm exhausted...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

I love it when Chloe sleeps with me, but some nights I put her in the crate. Those are the nights that I'm really really tired, and need my good night sleep. She has the tendency of curling up right between my legs, on the covers, so that I feel bad moving at night and wake her up (god forbig!!).

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My uncle always said he wants to come back as one of my dogs! I'm glad I'm not the only one who sleeps with their pets. For years (until I got involved with the dog groups online), I thought I was the ONLY nut sleeping with a dog - now I know that we are in the majority. For the past year I've been sleeping in a guest room (long story), and not in my queen bed - but in a twin bed - so there's not room for everyone. Before that, I had Princess, Chloe, JoJo, Joe, Jack, Lottie and Bella keeping me warm. Not bad in winter, but sure gets warm in the summer. Now I just have Chloe (always) and Lottie - most of the time. It's even crowded with just the two little girls, 'cause they're both BED HOGS! Chloe has slept with me almost every night of her life - and she's my best bed partner. She does like to sleep under the covers - even in the summer. If I'm at home, you'll find Chloe with me. I'm hoping to get my room back soon - and then I'll have most of them with me - either in crates in my room or in bed.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I know how it is to be nearly shoved off the edge of your bed by two beagles. My boyfriend wakes up 1-2 hours before I do to go to work, and when I wake up, the dogs have wedged themselves around me like Tetris blocks. Spock will also squeeze between my boyfriend and me, if there's room.

Since I've got chronic knee pain, it is nice to be able to flex my legs at night or in the mornings, but the dogs tend to curl up against me and sit like fuzzy little bricks such that I'm locked into position as soon as they lay down. My boyfriend tried to help last night by making room on his side and snuggling with Spock under his arm. As soon as my boyfriend was asleep, Spock quietly disentangled himself, got down off the bed, and came around to my side, then lay down on the floor next to me. I guess he really does see himself as my dog

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
How I can relate. Jersey loves to snuggle under the covers. But if she gets hot or I get restless she goes into her crate. Until she gets cold, then it's back up on the bed and pawing at the covers to come under. Sometimes she's up and down 3 or 4 times. Ugghh.

El, Jersey loves to lay between my legs on top of the blankets too. It's like being pinned down. LOL!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I wouldn't have known that there was even such a thing as horizontal gravity until I slept with a beagle! Moosie isn't too bad (he tends to sleep on the pillow against the headboard or, if under the covers, right at the foot of the bed) but Popcorn is a first-class bed hog and I usually wake up completely contorted around her and/or without any covers at all!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Mine are bed hogs, too. Duke will ususally start on the floor next to my bed and end up with me within an hour, Violet starts right between Dave and I, cuddled against me.

There are many times I wake up to go to the bathroom and find both beagles and the cat, Phoebe, twisted around me. My only saving grace is that Cassie the lab can't get up on the bed anymore!

LOL at horizontal gravity. So true!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
It's good to know that my husband and I are in GOOD company!

For two rather small (in dimension at least) dogs, they manage to take up most of the king-sized bed. They insist on laying horizontally, and on top of the covers. Often, I've picked the cover up and rolled Yodel over more towards my husband so I could get covers.

As for getting up to go the bathroom, if I do, my spot is immediately filled in by beagles.

And Yodel does like to lay between my husbands legs...heh heh!!!

Some nights, Yodel sleeps with our son and in the morning I'll find Casey under the covers at the foot of his bed and Yodel up by the pillow.

My husband always threatens to put them in their crate but he never does...we still love having them up with us...we must be crazy.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Guess we're ALL crazy then. When Lottie sleeps with me, if I get up she always steals my pillow! Little stinker.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That's so funny! Rocky almost never sleeps on the bed with us. He's got a big pillow in the corner of the room and he LOVES it. Especially since we put his new little round bed on top and it's doubly comfy. Daisy on the other hand always sleeps with us. Most of the time she makes a nest at the end of the bed in the comforter. On the weekend if I want to sleep in, I have to make sure I don't look at her once she's awake. If I make eye contact and she's sees that I'm awake, it's all over!! She gets all excited and starts doggie stretching and rolling around on the bed.
On the rare occasion that Rocky sleeps with us, Daisy will sometimes curl up right in between me and my hubby. Otherwise she seems to always find my feet and I have to move around to accommodate her. LOL

·
Registered
448 Posts
I am glad to see this posting.
I know there are a lot of us here that sleep with our beags, I have since day one when I got them.
Apparently according to my fiance's family this is not right and all kinds of other things. So I wanted to know how many on here do not sleep with their dogs. I am also going to post to see how many on here think that dogs are meant to be outside. Apparently they think my beags pet dander and hair is too bad for his health, which he did just have a lung removed yesterday, but having to choose between putting my dogs in a cage for the rest of their lives and all of this is driving me crazy.
Help
Judi

·
Registered
158 Posts
Too funny, my Beag doesn't normally sleep on the bed but last night I was a little worried about her and wanted to keep her close - how did a small 12kg creature take up the WHOLE bed???

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
What I miss most about Goober is that he was a snuggler! In
the summer he would coil-up under my arm/left or right & in the
winter He would nudge me with the top of his head like Snapper
did, to be let under the covers! Homer has yet to assume his
spot, as he still seems to expect Goober to come home soon...
Poor guy,(I did not have the heart to show him Goobers body).
It was cool enough tonight to use the gas fireplace, but Homer
would not lie-down in front of it. Instead he took his usual
place to the side of it & stared at the sweet-spot in front
of it still expecting Goober to take his place! Poor Homer has
a few subtle issues accepting his mentors loss, but not as clear-
cut as with Rufus howling every evening after supper when Duke
died! (I pet & fuss over Homer as much as I can now), and when he
enters his seniour years in a year or 2 I will get a beag pup for
him to train! (Thumbup)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I can't imagine not sleeping with my beagles. They keep me warm in the winter! I like sleeping on my side in sort of an S, and Lucy curls up in front of my tummy (and I lean on her a little), and Flora curls up behind my knees, or around my feet. And she doesn't complain about my cold feet, unlike the other human in the bed.

The beagle bedwarmers have saved many arguments about the proper amount of blankets to have on the bed. My husband tends to be hot, and I tend to be cold. Adding beagles, we can agree on blankets.

It's funny, but my husband has them trained to stay off his side of the bed. They are always on my side, or on my pillows (if I get up, or if I come to bed too late).

Sylvia

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Judy,

Hope your fiance's surgery went well and he recovers soon.

I'm not a doctor, but unless he has an actual allergy or sensitivity to dog hair and dander, I wouldn't think that it would affect his respiratory health.

Hope you all settle this soon.

Denise

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lucy's MomIt's funny, but my husband has them trained to stay off his side of the bed. They are always on my side, or on my pillows (if I get up, or if I come to bed too late).
So I'm not the only one who experiences this! Our husbands seem to be very good at this training!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Whew! It's not just us then. We got a Select Comfort Queen soon after we got married 17 years ago (we were 'cat people' only back then!) but by 2001 we had two Beags. In the winter (average temp mid 30's F.) we would just turn the heat way down at night and save enough money in heating costs to more than pay for their food! Cha ching! Alas, they are such bed hogs! Last summer I broke down and got a new Select Comfort, a KING! Just to have more room. I sympathize with those here that have a queen or a twin! I had forgotten what it's like to wake up hanging on to the edge of that old Queen... Any funny bed stories out there? I have one. Don't read on if you are easily grossed: One night I started to dream that I had umm, eliminated a solid in bed (a #2). I don't have that problem (yet..I'm only 41..) but I had a dream that I did 'it' and it was so real feeling and so scary that I actually woke up with a gasp. Only to feel something in my umm, well in between my cheeks shall we say. I totaly started sweating. I must have gone and done it in my sleep and my brain interpreted that and made me dream that I did it and that's what woke me up, if that makes sense. So I'm laying there on my side freaking out. Needless to say, I was quite sure I couldn't have done it. So I reached around my backside and very, and I mean very gingerly touched it and it was all warm and..fuzzy... I thought I must be sick or something for it to have fuzz on it. Perhaps some food sickness or bacteria? Surely I must be sick if it was that 'consistancy'. I had to hold back a gag reflex and then it occured to me that if I turned on the lights to clean up and I disturb my wife and she wakes up and discovers what I did, I'll either never hear the end of it or worse, get banned from the new bed. Then something truley disturbing and freaky happened: It moved! A tapeworm! Holy *#$*^@(%! I can't have one of those! So I grabbed it before it could wiggle away and I heard a yelp and the blanket puffed up a bit further down, near my feet. Ahhh, thank GOD! It was Tinker's rear paw! The hound had kicked in the middle of the night and jammed his rear paw in between my you know whats causing me to think what I thought. Instant releif! Oh man such total calm settled in. I'm just glad I was turned away from him though, otherwise he would have kicked me in a much more sensative area! Anyway, true story. Have a good laugh (and I hope I don't run for president someday or this story might come back to haunt me!) and beware those kicking in their sleep bed hog Beags!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Now I feel bad. (but probly not as bad as Worshipthebeagle;) Winston and I usually have some Q time playing and cuddling on the bed before I put him in his crate. Last night we both played until he fell asleep, so I let him lie there as I doze off. My hubby came in and said, I'm just going to let him sleep with us tonight His thinking is, he's too big for his crate, so maybe he won't get up so early if he can stretch out. I immediately say NO, put him in his crate. Now if Winston and his dad find out that all his beagle buddies are sleeping in the Big Bed, I'm hooped aren't I?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Winston's MomNow if Winston and his dad find out that all his beagle buddies are sleeping in the Big Bed, I'm hooped aren't I?
Oh yes!

Don't feel bad, I had Chloe sleep in her crate until she was completely housebroken. I tried a few times when she wasn't, letting her sleep with me/couch/etc., and woke up to interesting smells.....

Chloe still has nights when she sleeps in her crate, either I put her there when I need to get a good night sleep without her pinning me to one spot in the queen size bed, or when I'm restless and she wants her peace and quiet.

When he's old enough, I'm sure Winston and his daddy won't even need to make excuses

·
Registered
366 Posts
When he's old enough said:
%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif[/img]

Admittedly I will one day relinquish a large portion of the bed to the dog, complete with covers too, I presume.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts