Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing? When Maddie is up and about for her walks, she's very active and loves playine with her stuffies..but she sleeps a lot during the day. Is that ok. I know she is older (8 years old) and she is hypothyroid(is on thyroid med) She's at stable levels right now
Is she sleeping too much though?

·
Registered
511 Posts
As long as she's active when she's awake I think it's pretty normal, especially as they get a little older. It's not unusual for dogs to sleep 12 hours a day or more depending on breed and age. I also think some of the sleeping is out of boredom for many household pets.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker's normal state is asleep. She always comes alive for a walk of any length, and if there is food on offer somewhere she is a ball of energy, but otherwise she really does sleep ALL the time... I don't really think it is boredom, either, because even at the dog park she will sit at the edge of the park, aroooo to greet the arriving dogs for a while, maybe have one episode of playing (lasting a minute tops), then roll on her back in the grass and go to sleep. Or the other three will be racing around the house playing like crazy (although they all sleep a lot too) and she will be sound asleep in her bed or lying baking in the sun - that really is just her. It hasn't really become more pronounced as she has aged, either - she is 12 now but she was exactly the same when we adopted her at 3!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My dog is 1 year old and he sleeps quite a bit! We think he's bored but we walk him daily and make him play at home...we are pretty sure he sleeps throughout the day especially in the afternoon after a walk with our dog walker.

·
Registered
959 Posts
How did you know I was going to ask the same question? Cobi has been sleeping a lot lately and it did have me worried. I asked the vet about it at his visit last week, and he said, Cobi is 8 getting up there, but very active otherwise. He can take on Casie, 2, anytime. He thinks, too, that sometimes Cobi gets bored because Case gets a lot of attention...so he just sits back and says young whipper snapper, I'm not in trouble, and I still get a treat...as long as she is healthy and still is active during other parts of the day...she sound okay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are beagles low energy dogs?? My bf's sister has a Welsh Corgi and that dog plays all day long even after a 3 hour walk in the park...Where as Toby plays for 15min at max and he wants to cuddle and sleep for the next 2 hours.

I took him out for a walk for 2 hours last weekend and all he did the following day was sleep! Didn't even want to get up to go to washroom. Thought he was sick! We went to see a vet for our normal check up everything is GOOD!..So I'm not sure whether to classify them as low energy??

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think Beagles should be classified as Zoomie energy.

Oreo's natural state is lying down/asleep. He gets up and excited for walks and food but otherwise, he's a bump on a log (much like me!).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, the Bagel is between 14.5 and 16.5 and after 3 or 4 hours of constant sniffing and digging sometimes decides it is nap time for 15 minutes when we are playing but he can snooze just as easily if we are driving or I'm being lazy. I come home from work, he comes in from his back yard, zooms around the house and nests at my feet for the rest of the night. I think it is beagle nature to be full on/full off. The breed, ya gotta love em!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts