Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Question I have please.

When I first adopted Charlie, A few months back for those of you who don't know.

He slept with us ALL THE TIME, even though he had a dog bed, the dog bed he would just nap in it from time to time.

We welcomed him sleeping with us.

Yeh well, Question is, He don't want to sleep with us anymore, at our bedtime he's in his Dog bed, I carry him into our bed, then he looks at me like Heyyyyy, then gets up and goes into his dog bed.
where he sleeps all night, then come morning he will come into the bed only then, and rest another hour or so.

I now this seems odd to some of you, but I'm taking this personally and feel rejected not knowing WHY? he loved sleeping with us.

Soooo I cover him up with my robe so he has my scent with him.

I thought at first it is just tonight? tonight the next night, I try again bring him into our bed, but yet again he goes in his....Why is he doing this??

His bed is not in my bedroom, it is outside my bedroom door off to the side.

Anyone know why?

Thank you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am not sure why, Buddy does the same thing (sort of). He comes to bed with me and sleeps in my husbands spot, when hubby comes to bed he jumps off the bed and sleeps in his bed on the floor (nest to our bed) in the morning he jumps back up and sleeps with us for about an hour or so until we get up and get ready. I feel bad when he leaves too. If my husband tried to pick him to put him back in bed he growls at him, if i do it he doesn't growl but he won't stay long. I think it has something to do with the pack order (my husband says he leaves cuz he doesn't want to get smashed! hee hee)

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I would just leave him in his dog bed...sounds like he wouldn't be there if that wasn't where he wanted to be.

Abby does this too sometimes and although I get that "ooooh maaaan" feeling I leave her wherever she is.

·
Registered
187 Posts
All dogs like to have their own private space. Usually their bed is their private space.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke sometimes moves to his bed, though not often. I think he does it when he doesn't want to be disturbed. My DH moves a lot in his sleep, which is why Duke sleeps on my side, but there are times I move and that will usually cause Duke to get up and head to his own bed (though it is always short lived).

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Not sure how I posted this twice. Oops.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
They like to have their own private space like Doggonit said plus it sounds like he feels more secure now. Maybe at first he felt he needed the comfort and security that you gave him in your bed but now he's more settled he's saying he prefers his own bed.

Don't take it personally. Rosa, if she had her own way, would gladly sleep in my bed all night long right up against my face, but that's just the way she is. Sherry on the other hand, being a rescue and not used to such closeness with humans prefers some solitude and her own bed.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey does that sometimes too. I like it better when she's with us, but I let her go to her crate if that's where she wants to be. I wouldn't take it personally. It seems he just wants his own space.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Boeing used to sleep with me almost all night long. But recently he has started to alternate between me and my mom, and sometimes he just snuggles up to my mom all night. I don't mind though. If he's comfortable sleeping where he does, I just let him be. It doesn't mean he loves me less because apart from this, things still go on as usual /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Our beagle/lab mix sleeps with us 90% of the time, but there are some nights that he prefers to sleep in the livingroom on the couch. When in our bed he literally sleeps between my husband and I touching both of us and I think he gets too hot sometimes and needs to go where he can be cooler. That and I am a very restless sleeper so on the nights that I am moving a lot he could dislike the interuption to his sleep. Just enjoy the times yours joins you and don't take it too personally when he wants his own space.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My cocker spaniel Charlie never wanted to be on the furniture. He just wasn't a lap/bed/couch type of dog. When I would put him up on the bed, he'd stay a minute and off he would go. Never got on the couch, never wanted to be on my lap, his place to him was at our feet, on the floor, etc.

Don't take it personal. He's just comfortable with his own bed.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm I still feel rejected..lol
thank you all for the information why this is;

It's really new to me as Su was with us in the bedroom for 15 years.

and really got used to Charlie sleeping with us, and now Heeeeee's gone to his own bed.

I suppose I like to feel needed.

*sigh*

Well guess it's time to get another beagle, and when he/she is not needing me, I'll get another then another and another................have a whole packaroo.......haha j/k

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

*tray of drinks for all* cheers!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Beagles very much like to rrrrrrrrrreally lay in a space where they can stretch out and not be distrubed or be "chunched". Any movement in the bed is not good ! Shiloh slept with me when he was small but no more. I tend move a lot at night and he doesn't like that. When he was small he would give me his little puppy growls when I moved him to much.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Right now I'm "camping" in a small bedroom with a twin bed (daughter and her husband have taken over the top floor where my bedroom is) - so all the girls can't sleep with me anymore. My little Chloe ALWAYS sleeps with me, and the only other I let in the room now is Lottie who is a tiny beagle, too. Sometimes Lottie comes in and sleeps with me, sometimes she prefers to sleep in the living room on the couch. To be honest, since she SNORES so loudly, I prefer to have her in the living room - but she's a rescue and is very "insecure" - so I let her sleep whereever she is wants to sleep. Last night she slept snuggled next to me, night before last she didn't want to come in the bedroom - it doesn't offend me and I don't feel "rejected" - since she had a difficult life before I got her, I just want her to be comfortable. Can't wait for daughter and her hubby to move out so I can have my queen bed back - and all my girls can sleep with me again - tho I must admit, I sleep much better with just Chloe. She's little, and is a great bed partner. She gets in bed, curls up under the covers at the foot of the bed, and rarely moves. Good thing I'm not married - doubt if a husband would appreciate sleeping with 6 dogs. I miss Chloe when I'm away from home and don't have her to "snuggle". I often reach over to touch her in the night.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Susi and Snoopy have also opted for their baskets, in our bedroom. When we first rescued them they wanted to sleep with us. Now they sometimes come and join us in the mornings, but when they really want to sleep they prefer their baskets, or share one of the baskets!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Are you moving a lot during the night? maybe you are bothering his sleep without even knowing it.

I have noticed that in nights that I'm not sleeping soundly, Chloe leaves the bed and relocates to the sofa... go figure!!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I'm not sure what to tell you, but Daisy does this with my husband. She will sleep with me all day long, but when he tries to get her to nap with him she goes to her bed. I think his snoring/moving around bothers her. I tend to be more still.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No our sleeping patterns did not change, as in Us humans.....Charlie really liked to be snuggled up in the bed movement did not bother him, he would sleep like a log.
now I'm thinking back, Do you recall his street living when he ran away? as in the runaway post missing.....the first night he was back he had nightmares and was scared I stayed up all night reasurring him everything was ok he was safe and mumma was here......making sure everything was ok.....I mentioned shortly after he became what seemed more independant......not as whinny when mumma came home after a few minutes, as before he acted like i was gone for days.

well this too maybe has alot to do with him wanting to be in his bed now......your posts made scence perhaps he's feeling more safe and sure of his home....

Hmmmmmm the runaway beagleweegle.

sigh

1 - 19 of 19 Posts