Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
So I’m a new beagle owner. Iv had my beagle for 3 weeks now and he is about 11 weeks old. At night we like him to sleep in his crate because he’s not potty trained yet. At night me and my husband will stay up and watch tv and he will just sleep where ever he gets comfortable and we move to his crate and he goes back to sleep. The problem is in the middle of the night he wakes up at 1am and 5am to use the bathroom. In order for him to go back to sleep he has to physically sleep next to us. We can’t put him on our bed because we already share our bed with our 16 month old daughter. So me or my husband are forced to lay on the floor with him until he sleeps :cautious: and then we put him in his crate. Are we doing something wrong ? Will this ever get better ? Any advice will help and be greatly appreciated !

·
Super Moderator
5,068 Posts
He is still very young, if you got him at 8 weeks that is a bit early so he is looking for comfort from his "mom". Can you put the crate right next to your bed? Beagles are pack animals and really want to be with their family. Our dogs don't sleep in bed with us but they have dog beds right next to our bed and also right near us in the living room for when we're watching TV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea his crate is a couple feet away from our bed but I can try moving it closer. Thanks for the advice i learned something new today about my beagle!

·
Registered
942 Posts
8 weeks is standard to get a puppy I believe? It is with GSDs anyways. But regardless, he is still young.

With our puppy that we have right now (not a beagle), the crate was right next to the bed and I'd stick my fingers in until he fell asleep. Eventually I didn't have to do it anymore.

Reactions: Susi-10

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
You lose the purpose of the crate and confuse the dog if you allow him to sleep on your bed. I dont recommend that. As others said you can keep the crate close. You risk the dog peeing on the bed.
That said...
You mention a young baby.. be EXTREMELY careful since puppies go through a biting/nipping stage soon for a few months. Its not aggression..dont be harsh when curbing that behavior but read up on how to curb it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone. We don’t let him sleep on the bed we sleep on the floor with him until he falls asleep and then we put him in his crate. If we put him in the crate to sleep he whines and cry’s and wakes up our 1 year old daughter. But we’ll keep trying to be persistent with the crate training.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Keep trying. They do whine as puppies. Give your dog a small treat each time your dog goes in the crate.. that way they know thats a great place to go. My 8yr old dog went in her crate last night completely on her own and slept there all night with the door open... what's not to like..
she's got a Serta mattress and blankets...lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the advice everyone! Iv been doing what y’all recommend and it seems to be working I haven’t slept on the floor in weeks. 😆

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hey that's great!!!! Glad things are going so well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts