Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I woke up to Winston's tongue licking my ear. My hubby claimed to have falled asleep with Winston on the bed and forgot to crate him. But he got up to close the bedroom door incase Winston Jumped off the bed??
The good news is I finally had a good nights sleep. The bad news is, I haven't crated him at night since....I really like my sleep.
Is this a bad thing? I still have to crate him during the day (yeah I don't trust him..) and I know he doesn't like being in the crate. He only has to be crated maybe 3-4 hours tops but usually less. I only crate him if no one can be at home.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I don't think its a bad thing at all. I would like Maggie to sleep with me but she prefers to get in her crate.

·
Registered
320 Posts
We crated Zelda for like a week hahaha She was already being crate trained before we got her, so we continued it. We would leave her in the crate and she would wake up in the middle of the night so we would open the crate and not let her walk out... instead we'd take her straight outside and she'd pee right away

Eventually we just let her in the bed with us and she would sleep through the whole night instead of waking up and never had any accidents during the day

(crate training = success)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bodie is a little over 4 months old now. He's been sleeping in our bedroom for a few weeks now. Initially (for a week or two) he was in the crate. Once he proved he could hold it we let him sleep free in the bedroom. We got him a big fluffy pet bed which he loves. It's funny watching him jump up-and-down on it like a kid on a bed.

Anyway, last week after coming in from a potty break I put him on the bed with us to watch TV. That lasted for all of 10 minutes before he peed on the comforter. So that put the kabosh in being on the bed with us. We were just surprised since it was his first accident in the house in well over a month. Plus he had just gone outside.

Since then we've been a little more gun-shy about him sleeping loose in the bedroom. It's been raining a lot and he's been drinking puddle water when we take him out at night. Which goes against our regulating his water intake after dinner time. So on nights when we can't stop him from drinking he sleeps in the crate. On nights when we can control his water intake he sleeps loose in the room. So far it seems to be working.

But I doubt he'll be getting on the bed anytime soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My dog Hunter sleeps on my bed and sometimes in the middle of the night he goes to his bed, which is just right next to my bed. heh

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
When we got Jersey I was sure that she was going to sleep in her crate. Our last dog, Amber, had bad arthritis and hip dysplasia so it was hard for her to jump on and off the bed as she grew older. It took a lot to re-train her to sleep on her bed on the floor. So, I said no dog on the bed this time. Well, that lasted all of about 2 hours. We put Jersey in her crate when we went to bed and she was good until it was potty time. We brought her back in and put her in the crate again. She started crying...Mike said bring her up with us...I told him that once she was here, that was it,another 15 years of dog in the bed...he said he didn't care...so up Jersey came. Three years later she still sleeps with us, right against my legs. She has her crate in the bedroom, next to my side of the bed. If I get too restless or if heaven forbid, I make her move over if she claims too much of the bed she'll jump down and go into her crate. Looking back, I think that helped us housebreak her a little easier. I'm normally not a light sleeper, but every move she made woke me up. We were taking her out about every 3 hours. We've never had an accident in the bedroom at night.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Molly had pnemonia but we didn't know it when we got her. But she has slept in our bed since the day we brought her home.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We crated ours for a little while and then started letting them sleep with us. Daisy prefers to sleep at the bottom of the bed by our feet, but Rocky prefers his bed on the floor next to ours.
But I don't think there's anything wrong with Winston sleeping with you

·
Registered
87 Posts
Charlee starts out in his crate,, but somewhre between 2 and 4 am he starts whining so I take him out to pee, then he walks over to his crate, grabs his blanky, then stands at our bed waiting to be with us. How can I put him back in his crate when he looks so darn cute with the blanky hanging out of his mouth? I think he sleeps better in bed with us. Eventually he squeezes between me and hubby so he's definitely a cuddler.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My ace sleeps on his own in the laundry in his bed and loves it,
although when he can hold his water thru the night then he can sleep in my room.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally Posted By: wvbeaglemomMorrg & Ike aleep with us, Morrg is a snoozer today she got up to potty at 530 & 9am, then she went back to bed until 2pm lol
They have it good dont they, getting to sleep all day..
This morning when i turned on the light to wake up ace so i could take him outside for potty before i left for work, the look he gave me was like 'hey i was sleeping thankyou' lol priceless!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Scout has been sleeping in bed with us for about a month or more now. We actually get sleep, because before she would cry in the middle of the night. We think because she just wants to be with us. Last night she got up a few times to get a drink of water and to pee. But sometimes its hard to get her back to calmed down when she comes in for some reason. So if its like 2-3am and she goes out we put her in her crate because she wants to come in the bedroom and run around and stuff. Sometimes I will give her 1 chance to prove she can settle down, if she keeps jumping up and around then bed then its to the crate.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ben sleeps in the bed with us (and he snores!). He was crated at night for the first year that we had him. We only started him sleeping in the bed with us this past summer.

There are pros and cons. I am a light sleeper so I get woken often by him trying to get under the covers and he is like a dead weight and blanket hog when he sleeps on top of the covers.
However he seems much more content during the day now, doesn't have any accidents and sleeps like champ (he is a lazy beag!). I also like that he is a soft and furry little furnace on cold nights. Most of all it seems to help comfort some anxiety problems that I have when he is in the bed with us.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My husband and I decided before bringing a dog home that they would never be allowed in our bed. Boomer and Jersey are about a year and a half and are crated while we work during the day and again at night when we sleep. We've had minimal problems. While they don't totally LOVE their crates, they don't mind them. We do a lot of cuddle time on the couch though so we nap together often. I'm glad they don't sleep in the bed because they move around too much when sleeping! LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Ted and Phoebe slept in their crates at night for about 1 month after we got them to make sure they were housebroken at night. It's been on the bed with us ever since.....And we also have a big yellow lab up there too!

·
Registered
517 Posts
We started out with Shelby in her crate at night. Several weeks like that and she never whimpered once! Somewhere along the line , she has transitioned to our bed a lot of the time. Some nights it our bed and others she climbs in her crate and sleeps.

I woke up two mornings ago with her beside me, back to me, head on my pillow.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts