Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gage is almost one and a half, and he's started sleeping almost all day long. He will get up and play if you wake him, but will retreat back to his crate when he gets the chance. He used to just nap on and off throughout the day, and get short bursts of energy when he'd run around and play, but now he'll get up at about 6 am, go outside, come back in and get a little water, then lie down till around 11 am or 12 pm. Then around 3 or 4, he'll get rambuctious and want to run around for about an hour, then lie down again. He used to do this as a puppy when a growth spurt was coming up, but he should be finished growing by now right?

He has a vet appt. coming up soon, but I was wondering if this was a normal stage. I know some of you have beagles who are a little older, and figured you might remember if your dogs did this at around 18 mos. old.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
It seems that dogs sleep a large part of the day and beagles even more so. That was the general consensus in a recent thread here on the forum...can't remember which thread it was.

For comparison:Henry is about 3-4 years old, a bit chubby, and sleeps most of the day. Every now and then, when the conditions are just right, he likes to run and play and chase and he perks up at bedtime, too.

I think some of it, anyway, may be a beagly thing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Cecil and Brandy are 20 months old now and they are just puppies...They go to bed at 7-7:15 PM and sleep 12 hours. Then each gets a mile walk upon getting up, in fact I wake Cecil and walk her and then get Brandy and leave Cecil alone in the house while Brandy and I walk. They hang out in the house until around 9. Often they are exploring the garage while I have coffee and a cig in there and then they come inside and look out the sliding doors. They eat 1/2 cup food each and at 9 or 9:15 AM we go to the playpen (unless they have to go to doggie day care). They play in there, lie down some, chase lizzards running thru, bark and jump at squirrels or rabbits, chase each other, play tuggie with toys, chew on old or new bones and in general have a good time until I bring them in at 1PM for their nap on their dogbeds in their room with the door shut(where they are now). They get up around 3 or 3:15. Sometimes they hang out and play a little in the house, but more often they want to go pottie and back to the playpen for more play. Around 5 PM hubby and I have a coctail in the boat barn with chairs facing the playpen while the girls perform racing displays and tugging and gladiator moves for us. Usually some barking is involved. Around 5:30 or 6:00 PM I take both of them together for another mile walk where they do business, visit other dogs out for a walk, people out for a walk, neighbors in their yard and sniff and prance (yes, mine like to prance with their little heads up to see whats going on). When we get back home, they come inside and lie down on the cool tile, drink lots of water and hang out...then they get a second wind and do zoomies all around the great room. They chew on old bones, ropes, do gladiator moves and have lots of fun. They eat another 1/2 cup each of food sometime in all of this before going to bed at 7-7:15 and in their kennels in their bedroom. No, I don't think my girls sleep a lot, but when they sleep, it's good and deep and they wake up joyful for the new day of adventure. On Sundays dog parks are involved. Gotta go now, the girls are waking up and adventure awaits.....

:animal18:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, perhaps he is growing into the stereotypical lazy beagle. He's an only dog so he doesn't have anyone to keep him playing all day long. I started a thread awhile ago asking when he'd finally slow down. Guess I have my answer. He'll probably get more energetic in the summer when he'll have kids to play with all day long.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Maybe your vet will give him a good going over to be sure everything is fine. He may be just a laid back mellow fella.

Which is wonderful actually. Our first Beagle Sam was an only dog. I'm trying to think of what he was like at a 1 1/2 year old. I remember him being a holy terror when he was little. But he wasn't as wild as Sadie and Pooh were when they were little and I think it is because they had each other to chase and wrestle and get into trouble with. He is probaly completely normal. As long as he is eating, drinking and playing some. Let us know how your vet visit goes.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mom of 2 beagles, I had to laugh since mellow is usually the last word anyone'd use to describe him. He's usually a crazy little gremlin, running around and getting into things till he crashes from exhaustion. You're right about him still sleeping and eating, so he's most likely fine (fingers crossed).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey sleeps a lot more lately as well Keller. I have been attributing it to going to day care and not sleeping at all during the day anymore. It could just be that she's becoming a lazy Beagle too. Most likely it's a combination of the two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts