Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just picked up this cutie this weekend. His name is Toby and he will be 5 in June, I don't have much background health info on him. I've had 2 other beagles but never had any serious skin issues. I was given the dog food he is on, it's Purina One. He shakes his head constantly, scratches his right ear until he cries and has some scally skin around his face. I gave him a bath in some anti itch shampoo when I got him home and tried to clean his ears out a gently as I could. It doesn't look like they've been cleaned in quite a while and they are red and inflammed. He has a vet appointment tomorrow but I am very worried, that is the quickest I could get him in. Has anyone dealt with this?

Head Dog Collar Dog breed Carnivore
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Companion dog

·
Super Moderator
5,386 Posts
When I rescued one of my beagles from a shelter she was oily, smelly, itchy and dirty ears. They had her on Science diet which isn't a great food. Switched her to Fromm adult dry and everything cleared up. It costs a bit more but it's worth it not to be buying supplements, anti itch meds etc. Here is the Fromm site Dog Products - Fromm Family Foods . There are other good choices too of course, we just have lunch with Fromm and our beagles.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Welcome..he's so cute! He might have an ear infection ..ask about an antibiotic.. also my dog has had itching and scratching issues. I had the Vet give her an injection of Cytopoint. The scratching almost stopped immediately! They claim that injection lasts about 8wks but it helps my dog for several months.. she gets it 2x/yr.
Cassie is 10.5 yrs old and says Hi
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had a fantastic vet visit, turns out to just be severe allergies. He is on a strict diet plan and has antibiotics for his ears along with some other meds. Here he is today with my other beagle Piper, she will be 12 in July. They both say hi!

Thank you both for taking the time!
Dog Dog breed Working animal Carnivore Fawn

·
Registered
1 Posts
Neo is going to turn 2 in two weeks. Neo always had issues with allergies. Once his allergy turned into hotspot and he had to be given Cytopoint and Covenia injections. Since that time I am very very careful with him.When I see a sign of redness in his body(mostly belly and underarms), I gently wash with oatmeal dog shampoo/medicated prescribed shampoo. I also keep his sleeping/resting area very clean....always cleaning his blanket and dusting his bed and crate area. Just last week I noticed he had brown waxy stuff in one of his ears which kept reappearing even when I cleaned it(quite unusual), so even though he was not excessively scratching his ear I took him to his vet. It turned out to be a yeast infection for which he got some ear drops. Last month, he had aural hematoma.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts