Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I am asking this in the right place. My puppy Bella is about 8 weeks old. The vet said that it is normal for puppies to itch especially around their neck area. But the past 2 days I have noticed dandruff like flakes in her coat. I brushed her today and gave her a bath thinking it would help but seemed to only make it worst. I was wondering if this was normal or was there something I could do for it? Thanks, I appreciate all the advice in advance.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I distinctly remember the same thing with Bodie at that age. For us I think it was because we were bathing him too often at first. We then switched to once a week baths and the flaking went again.

You also might want to change his dog food to something with more oil in it or add a tablespoon of olive/vegetable oil to his kibble.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Tiny amounts of oil (vegetable oil) in the food can help, but be careful not to put too much or it could cause the runs. I wouldnt bath a dog in the winter, but thats just my choice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Buddy has this and for him it totaly has to do with the weather. Right now here in NY its cold and he has the flakes. A couple of days ago it was in the 60's and he had no flakes at all.

My vet said it is totally normal and when the weather gets nicer they will go away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im going to try the oatmeal and see what happens. Im not going to her another bath for awhile, we are going to the vet on monday for her second set of shots so I figured I would ask and just make sure everything is alright. Thanks everyone for the advice!

·
Registered
229 Posts
We use head and shoulders on Squeegee b/c his old shampoo gave him dandruff. I don't know if you're technically supposed to do that but it hasn't seemed to cause any problems and his fur is soft and shiny (and flake free!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.