Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skin Conditions?

Winston is always scratching his neck, in the front. I thought it was a dislike for his collar, which he now only has on when we go out. But he still scratches, and the skin is looking a reddened and raw. He doesn't scratch as much in other areas, and I haven't seen any fleas or other possible creepy crawly things.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Skin Conditions?

what kind of food is he eating? I was feeding toby Iams puppy chow before and he use to get this rash on his belly. switched to EVO(grain free)food and he got a lot better. he scratches here and there but not bad enough to get red.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

My labs had horrible skin allergies when they were younger. I took them off food with corn and it made a huge difference!

Sounds like Winston has hot spots and you can get soothing sprays to help him feel better until you get to the root of the problem.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

OMG - I AM feeding him Iams - vet recommended and we've alwalys used Iams with good experiences before so I naturally went to Iams. I just threw away the empty bag before I went online (OK no more work before electronics for me again!), I will mix the rest of what we have left with something new. It sounds like I should look for something with less grains or grain free. Do you think that Would exclude rice formulas too? He has a vet appointment on the 6th, do you think I should get a vet to see the rash first?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

Corn and wheat are the 2 main culprits for food allergies. There are a lot of great foods that are ranked high. Look at the posts on this site about dog foods.

We are feeding Canidae to ours now with great results. All our dogs tolerate it well and their coats are gorgeous.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So I have had Winston on a grain free food since last Saturday and there has been no change. My sister-in-law vet who happened to be visiting last weekend thinks he may have inhalant allergies and he might have to be on meds the rest of his life, and should see a vet dermatologist. I hope she was just telling us worst case scenario. I would appreciate any other suggestions. (keeping him on higher end pet food anyway) We have a vet appointment on Saturday. Wish us luck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

I think you should wait and see, 10 days might not be enough... I know many dogs with allergies, and most of them are only on meds for a few days when their allergies attack...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

I agree with Eleanor - IF it is the food (and that is a big IF), it might take longer than that to help. There are so many things that he might be allergic to - you mentioned his collar - IF it's a flea collar, he could be allergic to that - if he does have fleas (which MANY dogs are highly allergic to) you wouldn't necessarily see them. My keeshond was so highly allergic to fleas she would chew herself raw if one came within a block of her! We lived in Sacramento at the time, and it was a constant battle, this was before they had all the good products that work so well now - so once a month both my dogs went to the groomer for a bath/flea dip, while they were at the groomer's, I set off flea bombs in the house, and sprayed the yard with yard and kennel spray - it was a constant fight because the neighbors had cats that were always jumping the fence and bringing their little friends with them.
Corn and wheat are both major allergens for many dogs. If the scratching is just in one area, I'd be inclined to think it's not the food - but something Winston is coming in contact with - perhaps the detergent you use, many people use carpet fresh and many dogs are allergic to THAT. There are so many things it COULD be. Let us know what your vet says. Hopefully it is something easily fixed and temporary.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

We're going through exactly the same thing right now with Popcorn - and she has been on the ultra low allergen food from the vet since Saturday as well... The vet said it really could take up to a month before we would really be able to tell if it was a food allergy issue - and only at that time would we know if that was the culprit or if we needed to keep looking for the cause. She is still scratching (with her it is her mouth/gums that is the problem area) but I think she might not be quite as manic about it... although maybe that is just what I am hoping to see. What kind of treats are you giving Winston? The vet told us to really know if the food was helping we would have to stop giving Popcorn ANY other food as well - so absolutely no human food (which we should stop doing anyway, I know, but it is those big brown eyes...) and for treats to give her pieces of kibble from the same food.

I think you said he has a vet appointment in a couple more days - I say ride it out and talk more about it to the vet... but I also don't think the fact that you haven't seen an improvement yet means that the food change is necessarily a bust.

Good luck - and we definitely feel your pain (and Popcorn definitely feels Winston's itch)!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Summer has skin issues. We feed her Science Diet Z/D Hypoallergenic. She has SD Z/D biscuits as well. Very little people food (perfect we are not). She also has a special shampoo and conditioner that helps calm her skin when she does break out.

It does take a month or longer to clear up.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for giving me some hope..
I have took away his collar over a week ago and we now only use a harness when going for walks. I have a leather collar I put on him if we are going out, has his ID on it.
Last night he was up 3 times scratching and crying. He scratches everywhere, and nibbles the harder to scratch spots.

I'll let you know how things go tomorrow at the vet.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Saw the vet this AM. The good news is he thinks we can lick this. (pardon the pun) The bad news is I have to give him pills for a couple of weeks, yeah, that's real easy, he's not allowed any treats until this clears up either.

Vet put him on Vanectyl-P and a vet formula food for a month. We check back in then. Unless it gets worse, he should hopefully be less itchy within a few days and the rash should clear up by the next visit.
He noted that his coat seemed dry, and I had kind of wondered about that myself.
He doesn't necessarily have to stay on the vet formula food, but considering it was $3.00 cheaper for same size bag and he will probably need less of it, I might consider it if this works.
Big morning for Winston, I shall now enjoy some peace as he is settling into his little pet bed that he picked out himself at the pet store last week.

·
Registered
889 Posts

My Daisy takes a pill every day as well (at least for now). I found the best way to give it to her is in her food bowl. She sucks her food down so fast, you'd think she was starving, that she doesn't even notice that the pill is in there!
Just a thought to try if you're having trouble getting him to take it.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Originally Posted By: Joe BeaglesSummer has skin issues. We feed her Science Diet Z/D Hypoallergenic. She has SD Z/D biscuits as well. Very little people food (perfect we are not). She also has a special shampoo and conditioner that helps calm her skin when she does break out.

It does take a month or longer to clear up.
That is the same food that Popcorn is now on - glad to know it is working for Summer... paws crossed it does the trick for Popcorn as well. I do think she is scratching less even after a week (or maybe I am just hoping and seeing what I want to see).

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Originally Posted By: Winston's MomSaw the vet this AM. The good news is he thinks we can lick this. (pardon the pun) The bad news is I have to give him pills for a couple of weeks, yeah, that's real easy, he's not allowed any treats until this clears up either.

Vet put him on Vanectyl-P and a vet formula food for a month. We check back in then. Unless it gets worse, he should hopefully be less itchy within a few days and the rash should clear up by the next visit.
He noted that his coat seemed dry, and I had kind of wondered about that myself.
He doesn't necessarily have to stay on the vet formula food, but considering it was $3.00 cheaper for same size bag and he will probably need less of it, I might consider it if this works.
Big morning for Winston, I shall now enjoy some peace as he is settling into his little pet bed that he picked out himself at the pet store last week.
That all sounds very promising... sounds like the same treatment plan as Popcorn is going through (although we did the pills first and then the food after) so both our vets seem to be on the same page, at least! I threw out the bottle so can't check the name of the pills but I think that is what they were, too - if so just a warning that Winston is going to start peeing a lot more - and sometimes without much advance notice, if Popcorn was any indication... so be ready!

We're giving Popcorn pieces of the kibble in her food as treats - she seems okay with that and as far as I can see she hasn't noticed that Booker and Moose are getting something else!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks for the pee warning! He's not even totally housebroken yet so that's really something to look forward to izznt it?
My vet seemed confident that if we could get the itching and rash to clear up that we could keep it cleared up.
I'll really know how well this works by how much thumping we hear when he scratches (yay Hardwood floors), and especially how much thumping we hear in his crate at night. If his crate's a-twitchin', Winston's itchin'!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

I just did a search for Vanectyl-P, and, as I suspected, it does contain Prednisone - which is a steroid and is often used to relieve allergy problems (in humans, as well as dogs). Booker is right - prednisone does make them eat and drink AND pee more. My keeshond was often put on prednisone for allergies until I put my foot down about it. It's wonderful for short term use - and often it is the only thing that will help - it's used for many things - arthritis, breathing problems, allergies, and a lot of other things. Hopefully it will break the itch/scratch cycle for you and you can keep it cleared up without further treatment.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Well so far so good. I don't think he is peeing that much more often, more like more of it. Which makes life a little easier..
I also think it's working. He seems calmer, although he still scratches alot, maybe just not as vigorously.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.