Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've posted a time or two about knowing how to measure Marley's height. I forget where because they were within other posts so I cannot find if anyone answered.
Anyway, so asked a Vet in a visit this week (Marley's regular vet's back-up) and the Doc said, why do you need to know that? I said I want to know how tall he is, 13, 15, etc. He laughed at me! He said what if he is somewhere in between, I said I'd like to know that too /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Anyway, he laughed it off an never showed me how to do it. Can someone help me specifically on how to do it? Needless to say, I will ask the front desk to not schedule me with him again. At least take me seriously, if you think it's a silly request or not.

And when did your beagle stop growing?

thanks!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Maybe the vet laughed it off because he didn't know... (and I looked it up to be sure before I answered.)
It's the measurement from the ground to the withers. Same as horses.
Wikipedia Encyclopedia says... "The withers is the highest point on the back of a non-upright animal, on the ridge between its shoulder blades."

I think I'll go measure my two. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
837 Posts
That vet sounds rude!

There is nothing wrong with wanting to know how tall your dog is. I like to know myself, as both my dogs are at the maximum height range for their breed. I like to know if they are within the standard, which parent they are like most etc.

As others have said you measure the dog from the ground to its withers, so from its front paw to its shoulder.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes, it is from ground to shoulder....

But I was talking to someone who shows her beagles the other day said that anything over 13 inches is considered a 15" in show???

Amanda

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think thats ridiculous! Vets are there to help, not laugh when client's ask questions regarding their pets! You have every right to ask questions and when I got Penny that was the first question I got from a lot of beagle owners, whether she was a 13" or a 15". (She is a 15"). And like everyone says, it is from the ground to the shoulder.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I believe, though I could be wrong, that the way the AKC does sizing is 13" or under is considered a "13 inch beagle". Anything over 13 inches but 15 inches or under is considered a "15 inch beagle." Those are the only two sizes the AKC recognizes.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
BeagleBabe, you are correct for the States. They use a "Wicket" if the the whithers touch at 13" the beagle is judged a 15" and if the whithers touch at 15", the beagle isn't allowed to compete /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif The standard in more civilized countries isn't so harsh. BTW: My Bagel is 14.75 Inches at the whithers.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't think your vet knew how to measure a dog but he should have said that he was not sure.

The correct place has it as been mentioned several times is at the withers to the ground.

Over here in Blighty its dogs 16ins or under for showing although this rule is not a hard or fast one as there have been quite a few dogs that have done very well and have been more like 17ins (Willows sire was one of these).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts