Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple Trick Training Question

Apparently, I'm the only one in the house who can get JoJo to do her fancy trick -- spin.
I've been working with her, but probably not as consistant as I should. Tonight, I noticed that about 3 minutes into the session, she just wanted to go nuts! She started nipping at me and howling really loudly...running all around the floor. I ignored the behavior a few times, turning my back and not looking at her. That worked about twice, then she just gave in to her crazy behavior and started jumping, running and howling (I think she thought that she'd get a treat for doing tricks on her own, as speak is one that we work on for fun).

Tonight, we tried to introduce roll-over...that didn't go very well at all, and she ended up looking like a franticly flopping fish (with claws that HURT when you're scratched).

We use small, soft treats and try to keep training to 10 minutes or less (typically 5). But we're running out of tricks to teach, too.

She can sit, shake, spin and speak. Lay down is pretty much her crawling towards my hand to get a treat...still working on that one.
Sometimes she'll give me fives where she hits both hands with her paws, but she's been trying to bite the hand with the treats the past few times.

What do you find works best when training your beagle??

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Re: Simple Trick Training Question

I do short sessions and only one new thing at a time. I dicovered by accident that if I say what can you do?, Maggie will do a trick. She usually starts with down and then I say what else can you do? and she will roll over. She does about 5 or 6 of her tricks in a row and usually in the same order but people watching us don't know that and think she is really smart.
I am not even sure how this started except that she wants treats and knows she has to do something to get one.
She can do each of her tricks with voice or hand command. I am just not sure how the sequence thing started.

·
Registered
837 Posts

I aim to do at least three training session a day but I keep them under three minutes.

She could be getting frustrated because she doesn't quite understand what you are asking her. Have you ever done clicker or marker training with her? I don't use a clicker myself but I use a marker word as a 'bridge' between giving the command and giving the treat, the same principle behind clicker training. I use the word 'yes'. If Daisy does the right thing, I mark the behaviour with a yes as a way to let her know she's done the right thing and a treat is coming. It stops her from offering other behaviours because she knows she's done the right thing.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Great topic!

I like the marker yes idea...I may start using that instead of the good boy I've been saying.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

I taught Spock to play dead a month or two ago, but I'm about out of ideas, too. I have seen some training videos people have posted here and gotten ideas from them. I've tried googling and watching videos on YouTube, too, but sometimes the tricks seem so complicated.

Ones I've tried to teach Spock, but have failed, are the one where you balance a treat on their nose or head. Spock moves his head or crouches down, spilling the treat. Then he wants to go for it. I also want him to stand up and spin. My grandma has a dog that will dance like that. I can get my dogs to spin, and I can get them to stand, but never in combination. Oh well!

One thing I like to do is get the beagles to guess which fist I'm holding their treat in. I think it might be more fun with a higher-value treat than the boxed Nutro treats I usually give them, like cheese or chicken.

I'm lucky Bones will do any tricks at all, to be honest. Spock catches on quickly, but Bones has always been much more stubborn and much less interested in performing to please others. While it's frustrating sometimes, I have to admire her independent spirit all the same.

·
Registered
837 Posts

I'm not that into teaching tricks which is why we are training to compete in obedience

There are lots of dog sports you can do like obedience, agility, doggy dancing etc if you want something more than trick training.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the ideas and feedback.

Typically, when she gets a trick right, I say, Good Girl! and reward her with a treat.
She's just starting to get aggressive about trying to get them (biting my hands to get me to drop them so she can gobble them all up).
I'll have to shorten the sessions up and do them more frequently. Checking out some training videos should help, too.

Thank you!

·
Registered
511 Posts

There are a couple on which we're currently working.

Wait: Murphy is learning to sit and wait at a door until I release him to go through it. I use an upside down wave as the hand signal, it starts from a sit, then then becomes a wait. He has to sit there until I release him (OK).

Leave It: I have Murphy sit and stay in the middle of the room, watching me. The stay hand signal my index finger pointed up (like I'm making the #1 sign). I then take a couple socks, slippers, anything that he's not supposed to have, toss them off to his side and say Leave It. He's not to try to pick them up-ever. He should just sit and stay.

My favorite is high five. We do that after most of our successful tricks. He comes over, sits for a treat, and rather than shake we've modified it to high five. People get a kick out of it.

·
Registered
504 Posts

Since the dog is biting your hand trying to get the treats, when he does this, you need to tell him NO and put the treat away and stop your session. He is obviously getting excited and anxious and cannot wait, so he needs to learn that hey, if I bite mommy, I don't get to do this anymore.

Cassidy did this when I trained her. Check these out:

Cassidy at 4 Months Training
Cassidy at 3 Months Training

1 - 11 of 11 Posts